"It's fine. I know you just wanted to make friends. Now that we have, we can have a great time this year." Percy smiled at his younger brother.

Screams filled the air and the twins turned to see about twenty ghosts floating through the air, looking like they were arguing about something. They didn't acknowledge the first years and passed through the doors leading towards the Great Hall.

"Move along now. The Sorting Ceremony's about to start." McGonagall called to the students. They formed a line behind her and stared at the hall in wonder when she opened the doors.

Four long tables ran parallel with each other, each with a different colored banner. The ceiling didn't look like it was there, Hermione informed the other first-years that it was enchanted to look like the night sky (which she read about in Hogwarts, A History as well).

All eyes in the hall turned to face Professor McGonagall as she set down a rickety old stood right in front of the Head Table, which ran perpendicular to the other tables and had all the professors seated there. An even older hat rested upon the stool and the hall went silent, awaiting something. The hat twitched and a rip near the brim opened wide like a mouth and it began to sing.

"Ooh, you may not think I'm pretty,

But don't judge on what you see,

I'll eat myself if you can find 

A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,

Your top hats sleek and tall, 

For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat

And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head

The Sorting Hat can't see,

So try me on and I will tell you

Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,

Where dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve, and chivalry

Set Gryffindor apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff, 

Where they are just and loyal,

Those patient Hufflepuff are true

And unafraid of toil;

You might belong in Ravenclaw,

If you've a ready mind,

Where those of wit and learning, 

Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin

You'll make your real friends, 

Those cunning folk use any means

To achieve their ends.

So put me on!! Don't be afraid!!

And don't get in a flap!!

You're in safe hands (though I have none)

For I'm a Thinking Cap!!" 

The hall rose into applause when the hat finished, it even did a little bowed that had the first years laughing, easing some of the tension they built up. Draco had a smug smile on his face as he looked at Ron, who glared at him.