T H I R T Y S E V E N

Start from the beginning

"It's been a while since I've seen you smile like that. I've missed it," Joe says.

My smile fades a little, but I can't help the blush that starts to colour my cheeks. I want to be annoyed at him for saying things like that, but it still affects me.

"Have you been skateboarding much?" Joe asks me, changing the subject.

The smile falls completely from my face with the subtle reminder of my brother. I haven't picked up the skateboard since I went with Joe.

"I haven't," I tell him, pulling the car in front of the Chinese restaurant.

"You told me once, that you used the complications of our relationship as a distraction from Drew," Joe says quietly.

I narrow my eyes, as I turn the car off and turn to Joe.

"What are you saying?" I ask him, feeling the anger heat up my veins.

"Is that... Is that what's happening here? With us?" He asks timidly, noticing my anger.

I turn away from him, and get out of the car, slamming the door behind me. I march into the Chinese restaurant, pulling the paper out of my pocket and giving it to the man behind the counter.

As he walks into the kitchen to find our order, I ball up my fists in frustration. How could he say that?

Joe comes into the restaurant a moment later, and grabs my shoulder, spinning me around to face him.

"Charlee, I'm sorry okay? I shouldn't have said that. I was an asshole," Joe says, his pained eyes searching mine.

I cross my arms over my chest, and glare at him.

"Yeah, you were," I agree with him.

Joe sighs, and runs his hand through his hair.

"I don't mean to be," He says sincerely, "I'm just trying to figure out where things went wrong. Things were great one second, and then with one little misunderstanding you're willing to throw it all away, I just don't get it,"

I stare at him as the anger disappears and is replaced with sadness. My chest rising and falling as I breathe. My eyes start to sting as tears threaten fall from my eyes. I try to find the words, but I haven't been able to really explain it to myself, let alone anyone else.

Before I can think of what to say, the man comes back with the food. I quickly wipe my eyes with the back of my hands and take one of the boxes of food, thanking the man as Joe takes the other one.

I walk out of the restaurant without another word to Joe, but slow down as I reach my car. Where am I going to put the food?

"I'll carry the food on my lap," Joe says, standing behind me.

I turn to him and nod, then hand him the food once he's sitting in his seat.

I get in the car and put the keys in the ignition, but don't turn it on yet.

"I'm sorry," I say, turning to Joe.

He gives me a small nod.

"Me too," He says.

I turn back to the steering wheel, and start the car.

The drive back to the house is quiet, but it's not an uncomfortable silence. I guess we both just have too much to think about.

Once we get inside, everyone is already sitting down at the table in the dining room. I notice there's two seats left next to each other for Joe and I, and I raise an eyebrow at Robert.