Chapter 6: An Unpleasant Death

The sword through his chest, blood spurting from the exit wound, he screamed in agony. The elite pushed Ivan off of his sword and looked straight at me. I ran towards him while the others fought. The elite preparing his sword to kill me, but I will not let him. We ran towards each other closing the distance between us, 50 feet, 25, feet, 5 feet. He lunged towards me swinging his sword from his right hand towards his left. I dodged to my left noticing his motion quickly and grabbed my magnum. He turned around angry at his failure and I angry at him for killing my comrade. He lunged again, but rather than swinging he waited to stab me with the energy sword. I waited for the right time to prepare my strike using suppressive fire to get him more on edge. As soon as his blade was 3 feet away from stabbing distance he jumped forward but I dropped to the ground as I shifted towards the left. The other were still being shot at yet I was taking my time killing this elite. While his massive body flew over mine I shot him in the shoulder were his plating didn't cover him and he dropped his sword. As he tumbled onto the ground I picked up his sword. I slowly moved forward to him with his sword and he began to stand up. I had switched the magnum to my left hand and shot at his other shoulder grazing him. Directly behind him I kicked him over to his back. Our eyes interlocked, but my gaze froze him. I raised the sword and quickly cut off his head and I raised it in the air. The other elites backed off having noticed they were losing the skirmish. Mac fired his gun in the air and yelled, "Woo! That's how you win baby." It was raining and Autumn put her hand on Mac's shoulder, looking a bit down. They all turned their heads towards me. I carried Ivan in my arms. Thunder rumbling in the distance, no words were mentioned. We had reached our destination but no one celebrated. The marines opened the doors to the fortress some people almost yelled to celebrate but stopped once they saw what was in my arms. "Get to the lunchroom, I have things to take care of," I said. I went to the medical facility and set down Ivan on one of the beds. I looked at him and said, "You did well Ivan, everyone's proud of what you've done. I'll see you again one day." Removing his helmet I looked at his eyes and closed them. I left his helmet on his chest and left. "It's my fault," I said under my breath.