five

Chapter Five: Beast Boy

If Zara had known the killer headache she'd have gotten from the copious amounts of alcohol the night before, maybe she would've thought twice about those last few drinks.

After she'd gotten her rocks off with Steve in the upstairs bathroom, the party seemed less interesting. "You stay," She shouted over the music, urging her best friend to stick around and let loose, God knew he needed it. "—I'm going to get some air."

"You want me to come with?"

He was only being nice, Steve's hands were wrapped around some new girls hips—a total opposite compared to the blue-eyed girl from earlier. "I'm good, I promise."

Zara waited only long enough to watch him nod in acceptance, his old Ray Banz sliding back down over his eyes as he took a few puffs of whatever the girl before him was smoking.

The chilly night air didn't hit the way she thought it would, the seventeen year old all too aware that her shirt was really thin and she was more exposed than covered. Her breath made clouds in the night and after a few moments she'd found comfort sitting cross-cross applesauce in Tina's backyard.

Chill bumps loitered her skin, the hairs on the back of her neck raising at attention as a fallen branch snapped behind her. "Don't worry, pretty girl. It's just me."

"To what do I owe the pleasure, Hargrove."

"So, you do know my name," He mused, the same unlit cig pushed behind the curve of his ear, pretty blonde hair peeking out to tickle the pierced lobe. "I thought you were forever going to call me fuckface."

Zara didn't answer right away, simply resting her cheek on the back of her hands that were wrapped around the bare skin of her knees. Her eyes fluttered closed, afraid that if she looked, it'd be too hard to look away and he'd surely catch her staring. "You caught me in one of my kinder moods. Don't get used to it."

Billy nodded once, crouching down to sit beside her with a low grunt. A moment passed and he shrugged of his jacket, tossing it in her lap. Zara didn't make a big deal about it —something the seventeen year old boy could appreciate. Billy didn't do sappy or thank yous or even physical contact besides sex from the looks of it—he'd left a few inches of space between the two, ensuring that he wouldn't cross his line if she didn't cross hers.

He could, however, handle admitting that he was a bit of an attention whore, thriving off of every compliment and the women of all ages who threw themselves at him but this felt different. Felt pure and  innocent and even board-line sappy if he thought on it too hard.