ALL GOOD THINGS COME TO AN END

Dayeon is halfway through her senior year which marks her 6th month together with Jaehyun. She begins her day with her typical routine of getting ready for school. Dayeon was boarding the bus when she received a call from her father. "Hello," she responded to the phone call.

"DAYEON-AH! Come immediately to the hospital, your mother is not doing well." Her father attempted to catch his breath while speaking.

"What? What happened?'

"She blackout. I had no idea how but I found her at the bottom of the staircase covered in blood. She must have struck her head while falling!"

Dayeon jumped off the bus and sprinted across the city to the hospital.

"MOM!" Dayeon yelled across the room as she spotted her mother in critical condition on the hospital bed.

"Dayeon-ah, I'm afraid we would have to move back to our hometown." Her father told her with a gloomy tone.

"Why? What did the doctor say? Why are we moving back?"

"For now she's okay but she needs treatment. Expensive one." Her father spoke with his head down to the ground.

"I have 4 days, 4 days to pack and leave" She thought to herself in disbelief.

Jaehyun:

Where are you?

Why aren't you at school, are you sick?

Dayeon:

Nope, I just had to do something for my family. Will be missing school today.

Jaehyun:

Is there something I can help with?

Should I go to your house after school?

Dayeon:

No no, it's okay. Don't come, it's not a big deal. I can see you tomorrow at school :)

Jaehyun:

Okay, tell me if you need anything.

I hate how I have to lie to you Jeong Jaehyun, I really do but I have to.

NEXT DAY

Dayeon woke up, reminding herself that she has only 3 days left. "Let's make the best of this Dayeon-ah" she told herself.

DAYEON's POV

I see him. He's waiting for me as usual. His eyes sparked as he saw me walking towards him. God, I hate myself. Why does this have to happen to me? I pretended and forced myself to smile, trying not to act suspicious.

"Hi" I said.

"Are you okay? You can tell me if something's wrong" He cupped my face

I let out a small chuckle "Jaehyun really, I'm fine. I just had to run some errands yesterday for my mother, the restaurant was a bit packed so I thought it would be fine for me to take a day off. I was gone for one day, Jeong. You acted like I was gone for 5 years." "Sooo, what did you do without me huh? Don't tell me you went to smoke again. Black lungs I'm telling you." I joked

"Seriously, that's old news. I stopped ever since you told me that there will be smoke coming out of my lungs."

"HAH, quite smart"

"Anyways, if the restaurant is packed and busy, I can stop by and hel-"

"NO, it's- it's okay. Don't worry about it." I quickly cut him off. You can't come Jaehyun. You can't see the state we're in. I don't want to worry you.

"Why? I can really help you out. I haven't seen your parents in a while and-"

"NO, really it's okay" I cut him off again.

"Dayeon, talk to me. Is everything okay? Why can't I go?" Jaehyun asked impatiently.

"It's because uhh, it's because, IT'S BECAUSE I WANT TO TAKE YOU TO THE AMUSEMENT PARK TOMORROW! Remember I made a promise, and it's going to be your first time there so you have to come with me." My promise to him was to take him there, I can at least do that for him before I leave.

He smiled and nodded. "I can pick you up tomorrow"

"NO! It's okay, I can go there myself. I have a surprise for you" Another lie.

The day went on with him rambling about how lonely he was yesterday. Normally I do the rambling, and he would just listen to me while adding here and there onto my stupid conversation. But today, I just want to hear him talk, even if it's on the most insignificant of matters; I just want him to speak. Because I will miss his deep, warming voice.

THE NEXT DAY

It's the final day with him. How am I going to see him today without breaking down? How can I act as if everything is fine when it isn't? My eyes welled up with tears. I attempted to dress up today, trying to appear my best, wanting his last impression of me to be the greatest.

This morning is rather gloomy, as though it reflects how I'm feeling on the inside.

Why did it have to rain today? How can we even enjoy our last day together when it's literally raining so hard?

I was watching the rain fall from the window when I heard my phone call.

"DAYEON-AH, I believe we may have to leave today! We have no choice because our house rent is overdue. And I suppose we are ready to leave today; we have already packed everything. Where are you?" My father spoke over the phone.

What no. I can't leave today. No no no. 

"I have something going on today, can't we just leave tomorrow? How much will they charge us?"

"We have no choice. There is no other option; otherwise, we will face a penalty. We can't afford to lose any more money, Dayeon-ah; we need it for your mother."

I didn't even see him today. He's probably waiting for me there already, in the rain. 

This is it, this is the moment where her life is starting to fall apart. After moving into a city where she had thought she would spend her lifetime with the people she finds comfort in, the place she could finally call home. In a mere nine months, her life was changed for the best. Now she had to move back to where she had come from and delete all those memories from her life as if it never existed. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry Jaehyun," Dayeon whispered as tears streamed down her face. Dayeon didn't know why she was talking out loud. The thought of never seeing Jaehyun again didn't sit well in her heart. "I'm so sorry I couldn't keep my promise. I know how much you hate it when you're alone. Yet I'm the one leaving you back to where you were, all alone. But I can't, I can't let you fall into this mess because of me, I can't drag you down with my problems. We belong to a different world, go live your life Jaehyun. This chapter is over for us. Please start many new chapters; fall in love, find someone that can fulfill my missing promise, avoid staying alone, and begin all those dreams you've told me about. Do not think of me with sadness or regret, you have all the rights to hate me or you can remember me as one of your once upon a time." Dayeon hopped off the nearest bus stop and decided to head to her family. Turned off her phone and left without a trace of herself.

The car was filled with silence as her siblings were fast asleep while her father was trying to navigate their way back to Busan. The silence was suffocating, for the past nine months she was so used to sharing car rides like this with Jaehyun, who was so good at filling any silence with his light. Silence now was too foreign. Silence was a reminder that Dayeon was now alone, no facet of companionship coming her way. Not that she would let anybody if they tried. She was once used to solitude, and the idea of loneliness didn't rush into her mind until the image of Jaehyun, her first love floods through her memories. Jaehyun will now be, just a memory. Thinking of Jaehyun was once a source of butterflies and fits of giggles now replaced by a heartache far too painful to describe. The space between her fingers where Jaehyun used to fit so seamlessly felt cold and empty. She'll miss him forever, like the stars miss the moon.