TWO STEPS FORWARD, ONE STEP BACK

After 4 hours of train rides, and hours of unpacking into her small apartment, Dayeon was determined to step out and rediscover the beauty of Seoul. A rush of nostalgia and adrenaline filled up her body. Wandering around the city for hours upon hours made Dayeon stop at one specific destination. The destination that she used to call her designated home. With the expectation of her home being operated by another household, somehow it was empty. Yet the sign was taken off the front door? Maybe they might've sold it again or are still waiting to move in? With intense curiosity, Dayeon had built up the courage to ask the grandma next door.

"Good afternoon, grandma. I would like to ask if this house is still being put on sale?"

"Ahh, that house. Quite strange but it was sold about a while ago, maybe 6 or 7 years ago. But no one had moved in. There would be people to clean it every once in a while so it looks quite clean. Why? Are you interested in buying it?" she asked me

Who would anyone buy this small house but not move in? I wondered

"Ahh no, I was just curious," I told her by giving a small smile.

"If you are, you can tell me. In fact, you had just missed the young man. The owner of this house. But it's okay, he would come by often so I can inform him for you or actually I have his number, I can give it to you." The grandma replied.

Hmm, buying it back might be a good idea later on.

"Oh okay sure, I'll keep that option open and take his number. Thank you" I bid her goodbye and went on with my day.

Little did she know, the young man that had just driven past her was somebody that she used to know. A special somebody that is still lingering inside her mind once in a while, or maybe a little more than that.

A big day is ahead of Dayeon tomorrow, her life is about to change tomorrow. The day she was waiting for is less than 24 hours. 3 applications in local companies, 2 into well-known firms, and lastly 1 into prestigious multinational cooperation that she had low expectations for getting accepted into.

"Do you want breakfast?" mom called from the kitchen as I opened the front door.

"It's okay mom I'll grab something on my way to work!" I called back. It's one of those days when her mother unexpectedly made herself a guest at Sieun's place. You see, Sieun is an only child so her moving out took a big toll on her parents, especially her mother. The first few months were unbearable, her mother would visit at least five times a week.

Sieun headed out the door, on my way to work. She'd never stop wondering how a person like her who can barely handle the taste of decaffeinated coffee ended up mastering the crafts of brewing the best one in Seoul. Well, a certain coffee fanatic used to complain about her coffee-making skill back in university so she was determined to prove him wrong. That determination flamed into something more. What keeps sticking out is the first time she'd heard him say: it's good

To other people, this may sound corny, that it wasn't so special. Though the way that made her feel was indescribable. That sense of accomplishment and satisfaction then fueled her love for preparing coffee.

It happened during the first summer before the start of university right after Sieun moved into her own apartment. The kind where Sieun first had a taste of what independence felt like as she went furniture shopping and decorated her cozy apartment of hers with an overwhelming lot of pastel colors. Jaemin would occasionally tag along even though he had nothing to shop for, when she moved out before college Jaemin didn't. Why would he? His parent's house was beautiful and he mentioned something about not wanting to leave his father all alone. As a housewarming gift, he bought Sieun an espresso machine. Of course, Sieun was confused with the choice of gift as she had many times complained to him about the taste of his deadly coffee. She honestly should've expected a narcissistic person like Jaemin to buy her something he'd find useful for himself, but nonetheless, Sieun accepted it.

"You have to make me coffee every morning before school when I pick you up," Jaemin said with a victorious grin.

"Why would I do that, dimwit?" Sieun said with a scowl.

"Well, you lost a bet soooo".

"You are insufferable".

That was how Sieun came to make coffee for Jaemin every morning before he picked her up for their university lectures. All because she lost a bet Jaemin proposed that day they hung out.

What the hell Sieun, why are you thinking about that jerkface?

Snap out of it Lee Sieun! It's been four years since you last saw him.