Alternate Ending

1935, Norway

"Lira for your thoughts?" I asked as I joined my father by the balcony.

He looked over at me then smiles a half as he clutches the book in his hands before chuckling. "It is nothing too grand." He said, looking back to the view.

The cold wind breezes ever softly when I look back at him. His eyes are somber, and his shoulders sag. I shifted my gaze to the book he is holding before looking out on the view once again. "Have you found something about mother again?" I ask hesitantly as I prepare my heart for either a shocking revelation or a dismissive answer.

He sighed before speaking. "No, however, my research has succeeded in saddening your old man."

"What is it?"

"There are simply moments where I wish I could change in history." He said as he handed me the book, making me see what it was about.

As I take it, I look through the book and realized what he was reading. "What would you change?"

"Quite a lot. Mostly save several people that I know did not deserve to die."

After he has stated his answer, I began to read the page he has placed his bookmark on. "During the mass, at the sounding of elevation, Giuliano Medici met his end with a fatal sword wound to the head along with 19 stabs on his body. He died lying on the cathedral floor."

April 26, 1478

"Are you in pain?" Giuliano whispers to my ear upon noticing my grip on his hands tightened.

I shake my head no and muster a smile I could manage. "No, I'm alright. Just feeling a little tired is all."

"We can always turn back, Antonia."

His words were filled with so much concern that my mind began to wonder about the things that could happen if we pressed on.

He is right. We can always turn back. Having the power over the events that could happen made my heart beat faster and turn my hands cold in anxiety.

As I look into his eyes, the words my father once spoke echoed in my head.

Nodding my head as I clutch my belly, I spoke. "Alright."

Smiling, Giuliano and I slowly went back to the palazzo.

When we returned, he lead me to the bedroom and help me lay on the bed to rest. Upon making sure that I am laying comfortably on the bed, he straighten his back and was heading for the door when I stopped him.

"Will you stay with us?"

Giuliano could only smile as he walked toward me and lay beside me. "Do you feel better?" He asks as he tucks the loose hair behind my ear.

I look down at my stomach and nodded my head yes before speaking. "A little." When I look up at him, I reach up to caress his cheek and smile. "Forgive me. We were not able to attend the mass." I said as I feel a wave of relief through me.

He takes my hand and kisses it before looking back at me. "I would miss a thousand more if it meant you will be okay. Though I must admit, I have noticed your unwavering persistence to stay by my side."

My heart began to pound hard against my chest as he spoke. I was too focused on trying to save him that I never thought of coming up with a reason in case he finds my actions confusing. Tongue-tied, I found myself unable to answer when he chuckled and continued. "I must admit, though new, having you by my side at all times is truly endearing."