Chapter 3

After the storm is over, they organize for Anakin to race with the pod he built by telling Watto that Qui-gon owned it. Padme tries to tell Qui-gon that the Queen wouldn't approve. He simply rebuffs her, saying that she didn't need to know. 'The irony,' Vader muses 'is amazing.'  Unfortunately, they have to bet their ship, so if he lost, they'd be stuck on this planet for longer than any of them want to be. Anakin takes them to see the pod he built. Vader has fond memories of this. Tinkering for hours on end till everything ran smoothly. He's always enjoyed building things, fixing them. Maybe he could dabble in some engineering in this timeline. Might as well pick up his old hobby.

Qui-gon speaks with Shmi a small distance away while Anakin examines the pieces of the pod. Vader can guess the topic, going by the look on his face. Many of Anakin's friends run over to marvel at the astromech and pod. They all seemed to steer clear of Vader if possible. He couldn't exactly blame them. Even people who aren't force sensitive can feel his imposing aura. Very few cared for it.

After the children leave, Anakin resumes his task: Making the pod work. Vader hands him a few power cells using the force. Anakin thanks him and inserts them into the pod, then flicks the power switch and the engines on the pod come to life. Vader lets out a content sigh. He hasn't felt this at peace for a long time. They continue fine tuning the pod until late into the night. After Shmi puts Anakin to bed, everyone leaves to return to the ship. However, as Vader steps foot on the ship, he feels something. He gazes at the horizon. And he knows. Maul had just arrived on Tatooine.

The next day, they begin preparations for the race. Watto starts mocking Qui-gon's choice of making Anakin his racer, claiming that Sebulba always wins. Vader watches the conversation with interest. He hadn't seen this part. Vader steps forward. He isn't going to miss an opportunity to antagonise Watto. "I'll take that bet."

Watto turns to him in shock. "What?"

Vader crosses his arms. "I'd be willing to bet myself against, how about, the boy and his mother?"

Watto laughs him off. "Hahaha! One slave against two? That's a fool's bet."

Vader gently pulls back the plating on his hand to reveal circuitry. "I have cybernetic enhancements, and I have more experience than either of your current slaves."

Watto looks interested. "Very good. But it will take more than that to convince me."

"If you're still not satisfied," he waves away his cape to reveal his lightsaber, "I assume this is worth something in the Outer Rim?"

Watto stares at the weapon for a moment before smirking and slapping Vader's outstretched hand. "Deal."

They walk  over to greet Anakin, with Watto warning him that his friends' betting will be the end of him. Anakin asks what he means but Qui-gon and Vader tell him it's nothing.

As Anakin heads for his pod, Qui-gon leans toward Vader. "Watto is correct. That was a very dangerous bet."

Vader dismisses Qui-gon's concerns. "Do not worry, I have faith in the boy. Don't you?"

Qui-gon stops Vader. "You felt it didn't you? His presence in the force."

Vader nods. "I have. He has potential for either great, or terrible things. Let us hope for the sake of this galaxy it is the former." Vader continues toward the track to tell himself good luck. "Are you ready young Skywalker?"

Anakin nodded. "Yeah."
Vader lifts Anakin into his pod, using his enhanced strength rather than the force. Didn't want to draw too much attention too soon. "Remember, your emotions are your ally. Trust yourself. Let your passion guide you."

Anakin sets his expression into one of anticipation and resolve. "I will."

Vader waves him off. "May the force be with you." As he goes to leave, he notices a part missing on one of the engines. "Anakin, there is a missing part here. You may wish to make some adjustments."