beneficial.

a/n: haha guys another angsty chapter. i love doing this tbh because i love the comments after, anywyas im so lazy so i'm going to write in non caps for this chapter.

kind of a little heads up, y/n is kinda cringey in this first part of the chapter. please beware.

word count: 2317

"he's our old boss, from the lab." i clear up to steve as we exit the car. peter doesn't let me move; he grabs my arm until we're completely out and then lets go and grabs my hand once the car door is closed. "peter, i'm okay."

he hums. steve grabs el's hand. i know he says he doesn't like being the babysitter, but he really likes the kids. "how do you know he's in charge of everything going on?"

"i saw a portal in the lab. opening up, and then i saw him. behind it all. really steve, i feel like i've explained this whole story a million times." i feel my knees go wobbly. i guess peter notices this too, so he picks me up and carries me in bridal style.

once we're in, peter explains the story to everyone there. then i'm braced with many many hugs until the point i can't breathe.

"y/n, over here, please." peter grabs my arm and pulls me to the couch, laying me down on top of him.

"seriously?" i say, trying to push off but he holds me closer by the waist. 

"yes, seriously. you need rest." he cradles my head into his neck, the tip of my nose on his pulse. it was relaxing, yes, but everything else about this situation wasn't.

"peter, let me up, we need to make sure everyone's okay."

he groans but loosens his grip nonetheless, still holding my hand as we strut over to the kitchen table.

"well i guess everyone's part is released. where's eddie?" i ask. as soon as i mention it, everyone goes silent. "what? didn't you guys wait until you let him do his part?"

everyone's a bit uneasy. "he had to buy time the way you did. he went earlier." dustin replies, breaking the silence.

"well which way did he go?" peter asks. i know he doesn't give a damn about eddie, but he notices i'm worried so he steps in.

noticing peter's aggression, lucas feels a little shy as he says his next sentence. "the lab."

i let out a small gasp, my hand dropping peter's. why would they let him leave already? and to the lab, of all places? i'm suddenly overcome with tons of anxiety and i shove past the crowd of my friends, shoulder bumping them out of the way.

"y/n, wait," peter calls out, running up to me.

"wait, what?" i snap. i turn around, my hair hitting spots on his face at how close we were. 

"i don't want you to go alone, please let me come."

"you just got out of a coma."

"so did you."

i scoff. "a five minute coma? really?" he goes blank. "besides, my 'coma' was beneficial. what did yours do?"

"how was it beneficial?" 

"answer my question." 

"answer mine," peter retorts, snapping at my face. 

"i asked first."

he sighs, then drops his voice a bit lower, mumbling in embarrassment. "nothing."

"and?" 

"and what?" his eyebrows raise.