scuff

I sat straight up in my bed, sweat drenching my t-shirt. Sitting there for a few seconds, I finally decided I was safe in my room. 

      I look over at my clock on the nightstand by the side of my bed, staring at the numbers that read 5:14 on them. That's weird. My alarm was set for 5:00. I guess it just didn't go off.

     I peel the covers of my sweaty legs and open my blinds. The sun was no where near rising. It was dark and the moon was at the end of the horizon. I sigh, walking into my closet and grabbing my white, collared button up jacket and white pants. 

     I get changed, do my skincare, straighten my hair, touch up my eyelashes and walk out of my room. The grandfather clock on the wall reads 6:00. I shivered at the look of the clock, because that's exactly what I saw in my nightmare. I pause. When did we get a grandfather clock? I shrug to myself, wondering if it's another one of my mother's phsycotic fits. I proceed to the kitchen, saying hi to my mom and Johnathan. 

    "Hi, Mom, hi Johnathan," I say, grabbing a waffle out of the freezer and slipping it into the toaster.

    "Good morning, sweetie, did you sleep well?" Mom asks patting me on the shoulder.

    "Solid 8 hours, that's all that matters," I respond, grabbing a plate and buttering my waffle.

   "I have to pick Nancy up today so I'm going to head out now, will you wake Will up, Y/n?" Johnathan throws his bag over his shoulder.

   "Yeah, of course," I respond. "bye!"

    "Bye!" 

   "And I have to get to work," Mom says, swiftly putting on her jacket and rubbing grease off of her nametag. 

    "Oh, okay!"

   "Bye, honey." 

  "Bye, Mom."

   I put my plate on the counter and walked through the hallway to Will's room. I knew he wasn't up, but I made sure I always knocked just in case. I twisted the doorknob, opening the door and walking over to Will's bed.

   "Wakey, wakey," I joked. He turned over, groaning and hiding his nose under the covers.

   "Come on, lazy, you have to get up. You have school. But after school you have that fun d n d campaign, right?" I repeatedly jab him in the stomach to try and get him a wake.

   He suddenly shoots out of bed. "Yeah," he goes over to his dresser and opens the drawer. I take that as my cue to leave.

   "I have some waffles out for you, but I have to head to work now." I say, ruffling his hair before I leave. He mutters a low toned "Goodbye" and I grab my keys and leave.

-

-

-

-

    I turn the car off, pulling my keys out and walking into the building. I stop at the front desk and sign in, checking the clock sitting on the ledge which reads 6:42. I swipe my keycard at the entrance and make my way up to the second floor where I'm greeted by Dr. Ellis.

     "Good morning," I say to her, which she says back. 

    I turn the corner, heading to the rainbow room when I'm stopped by Dr. Brenner. 

    "Oh, good morning, Ms. Y/l/n. Would you stop at the Vital Examination room and pick up the paperwork on the Recording Desk?"

    "Yes, of course, Dr. Brenner." I respond as we go into opposite directions.