12: The Class of '85

May 15th, 1985

A week and a bit before prom and I was dragged all the way to Lafayette by Nancy who had just gotten her license. I told her that I was just gonna wear jeans to prom and the girl flipped out, yelling at me until I agreed to go shopping with her. So I was sitting in her car as she parked outside a vintage clothing store, groaning in annoyance. I had never been a dress person and going to prom was gonna be no different but not according to Nancy. I thought it was sweet that she was helping me impress her ex-boyfriend and despite that, we stayed friends. Sure she was busy with Jonathan and an up-coming internship at the Hawkins Post so dress shopping would be a nice way to reconnect.

She didn't seem at all bothered that by all accounts, Steve and I had the better relationship than when she was with him and I appreciated that. We both realized who are people are and her and Jonathan make a fantastic couple. They both wanted to do something that had to with journalism and got there internships together. Steve was going to get a job at the mall and I was busy with figuring out Purdue. I got my letter a week back and was guaranteed a spot in September but Steve was still up in the air. I was worried to say the least and trying to ignore it as I browsed a rack of dresses.

"So, has his letter arrived yet?" Nancy inquired as she walked over, a couple dresses draped over one arm.

"No...it worries me. You think that he'd find out by now," I muttered in annoyance and she chuckled.

"Your birthday is in a couple weeks, maybe he's waiting," Nancy said and I groaned, hoping that wasn't the case and he'd just tell me.

A month and a bit ago was Steve's and we celebrated by going on a date that didn't get ruined. It was nice to just sit at a restaurant and have an uninterrupted dinner and after when we went back to his place and the house was empty, we had a little fun. I'm not gonna go into any gory details but the two of us were blushing messes the next morning. I could barely meet Steve's eye and he kept laughing at me for being so awkward. But it wasn't my fault that it was a pretty special thing to do and I was worried I didn't do it right. He luckily assured me that I was more than alright and the tension was diffused. That was a good day and one that felt like it was worth waiting for.

"What about this one...Ren?"

I turned and Nancy held up a teal dress covered in teal lace with a little ring of fabric around the neck. The ring was connected in the back with a couple buttons and the dress was fitted up until the waist where it flared out and ended at the knees. I eyed the dress, still not sure but Nancy just rolled her eyes and shoved me towards a change room. I reluctantly slipped it on and got a good look at myself before heading out. I did a twirl in front of Nancy who just sat there and stared at me with her mouth open.

"What? Is it bad?"

"God no!" Nancy exclaimed and grinned. "Oh my god, Ren. You look absolutely perfect. That dress was made for you and it's the perfect length, perfect style...perfect everything."

"Really?"

"Really...you're definitely getting it!" Nancy insisted and I sighed before taking another look at myself in the mirror.

As much as I hated dresses, I had to admit that she was right and it really did look good in a sort of effortless kinda way. I smiled before changing back into my own clothes and paying for the dress much to Nancy's delight. She asked if I needed shoes but I already had some and knew that I was definitely wearing converse. There was no way that I'd last through all of prom in heels and it was a running gag that I snuck in some casual wear no matter what. Steve would appreciate the converse and I was excited to see what he thought of the dress as well. Nancy drove us back to Hawkins and talked the whole way about pretty much anything. I added in my input but mostly just let her ramble and enjoying her company. Despite what happened in the past between her and Steve and then myself and Steve, it was nice that we still had a good relationship and she'd always be there. No matter what.