Chapter 3: It's Okay (Part 1)

Beginne am Anfang

"Marinette..." Tikki started but quickly hid when the door slammed open and someone walked in. Marinette held her breath and continued to fidget, even when the person knocked on the door.

"Dupain-Cheng?" a sharp voice asked. This made Marinette raise her head slightly, but continued to fidget. Even so, she knew that voice.

"Chloé?" Marinette asked timidly.

"Yes, it's me, now open the door!" Chloé all but ordered.

"No, I'm okay in here by myself," Marinette said, looking back down at her hands.

"Dupain-Cheng, you open this door right now! You...you need to drink something! I have water," Chloé said, although there was something gentle about that last sentence. Marinette swallowed, finally realising how dry her throat was as she literally felt it creak. Slowly, Marinette got up, and still holding the string in one hand, she opened the door with the other hand, to reveal Chloé standing there.

"Um..." Marinette started, but Chloé held the drink in front of her.

"Less talking, more drinking," Chloé ordered, as Marinette took the bottle. As the first sip of cold water touched her lips, Marinette found herself gulping it down so fast, it was gone in about in a minute. She found herself panting once she finished.

"Thank you," she said, only for Chloé to scoff.

"You need to watch yourself, there are better ways to manage you ADHD than dehydration," Chloé stated, making Marinette freeze. How did she know?! Did she see her file? Did her parents slip it? Was it that obvious? Was it...

"Hey, hey, I'm right here! Slow down on that string, you're going to give yourself string burn!" Chloé said, suddenly taking Marinette's wrists and holding them firmly. She didn't try to take the string away, but more so gently squeezed her wrists as if calming them down. It did work as Marinette's knitting finger motions slowed down.

"How do you know?" Marinette asked.

"I'm not stupid. It's just something I've seen," Chloé said, not giving anymore answers on that.

"Oh...well thank you," Marinette said with a smile.

"No need to repeat yourself, you're not a parrot. Now come with me," Chloé said, then taking Marinette by putting her arm around her shoulder and ushering her out of the toilets.

Marinette was dumbfounded as Chloé took her through the canteen, noting that nearly everyone was looking at her. None seemed more surprised than her class, with Alya giving an annoyed and shocked glance at the pair. Heck even Lila looked baffled. It was then Marinette realised that Sabrina was still with the class and not Chloé.

"Why isn't Sabrina with you?" Marinette asked, as they entered a hallway. Chloé looked slightly miffed and sad at the question but answered nonetheless.

"That little liar has her reeled in and doesn't want to hang out with a bully," Chloé said with a sniff. Marinette didn't know what to say. Clearly to her ADHD, it wasn't something she had noticed, given the lack of attention she paid.

"I'm sorry," Marinette said.

"Don't be sorry for me, just...look after yourself," Chloé said. Now Marinette was shocked. How much had this girl changed? Looking down at the string her hand, she felt a little ashamed for not noticing. She didn;t even notice when Chloé practically kicked down a door, to reveal a very annoyed science teacher.