Chapter Five: Hidden Truths

As night engulfed the town of Kakariko in darkness, lanterns were lit along the main path in a beautiful orange glow.

Dragmire was already making his way up the creaky stairs to reach Lady Impa's abode. There was a small part of him that was getting suspicious if one of the steps was safe from the pressure of his feet.

He had listened to Impa's advice and spent a short time at Nana's house; allowing the kind, elderly lady to help him with dabbing honey ointment on his cheek wound. She was even kind enough to put a bandage on it to prevent any chance of infection.

It wasn't as bad as Link's stab wounds, but he was at least glad his small wound didn't sting as much as it did before. Though he was sure it was deep enough to at least leave a scar.

As much as it felt somewhat comforting how kind the villagers were, nothing was stopping Dragmire from feeling he had butterflies in his stomach.

Afterall, he had never been invited to dinner before and he had no idea what to expect from it.

Upon reaching the top stairs that lead into Impa's home, he was surprised to see Impa waiting for him. She looked at him softly, like a kind grandmother.

"Good evening...Lady Impa," he said. The words came out more awkwardly than he meant to.

Even then, she still smiled warmly back. "I'm glad you could make it in time for dinner. It's been ages since I've invited anyone outside of our humble village to join us for a good meal. I'm certain you'll enjoy it too".

Dragmire approached the door to the house and held it open for Impa to pass through. She briskly walked inside and he followed her in.

Once inside, Dragmire was quick to notice what was different about the room. A long table had been set up in the room, stretched vertically from one side of the room to the other.

Impa's granddaughter was already sitting down at the table, she gave him a small, yet awkward smile with a little wave. It was oddly welcoming and eased him a little when he politely waved back.

Although bigger than anyone at the table, Dragmire plopped himself down on a cushion across from Impa.

Already placed in front of him was a bowl of some kind of soup. Still steaming hot, it looked thick with what he guessed was mushed rice. But the smell of onion and chicken broth made him curious enough to give it a try.

He picked up a spoon on the table and took a spoonful of soup into his mouth, letting himself take in the flavour of the soup.

It immediately shocked him how the flavour and soft texture melted in his mouth. It was the most heavenly thing he had eaten in ages.

"Oh my, I never had such a good soup. What exactly is it?" Dragmire asked, after swallowing another spoonful of the flavorful soup.

Impa smiled seeing how pleased Dragmire looked. "Miso soup, one of our village's specialties. Then again, our more seasonal dish is also just as good. But our pumpkins aren't quite ready for harvesting yet".

By the time Dragmire finished the soup, he heard the door to the house creak open once more. Turning his head, he saw that it was Dorian.

With him, the bearded guard was carrying a plate of rice balls. An entrée he was quite familiar with thanks to the rare meals he would share with the few friendly merchants he would sometimes see on the road.

"Sorry I'm late, I was making sure to tuck my little ones into bed," Dorain said before placing the plate down on the table for everyone to enjoy".

Dragmire looked a bit surprised to hear that.