Goodbye, Blue || Piper

You knew it was coming from the moment you told Shaun "Yes". It would be too much for her to understand, you'd be asking far too much from a woman who's dedicated her life to uncovering the Institute.

Piper was one of the first people you'd really "met" in the commonwealth. It didn't take the two of you long to reach a deal where she'd tag along, and you were glad for it. Hell, you'd be long gone if it wasn't for all of her help both in and out of battle. It was easy with the two of you, conversation and in turn, empathizing. But Piper would never understand why you were making this decision. No, this would be too much. Years of travelling together—sharing meals, blankets, ammo—and well, a lot of other things too, would come to an abrupt end. Your mind flickered back to the way Piper would brush her hair in the morning before putting on her cap. You always loved watching her get ready. She'd do it gently with her fingers, taking the time to work through every knot. That's what Piper was like, stubborn but precise, and always willing to work it out. Not this time though.

Tears streamed down her face as she told you this was it. She couldn't do it anymore and frankly, neither could you. It didn't make it any easier though. "I do love you, Blue" she whispered as she took your hand in hers "but this has got to be our last goodbye". You wished she'd just get angry. Throw her fists into your chest and tell you to never come back, but she didn't. She was just sad and that made this whole ordeal feel so much worse. You grabbed the last of your gear and walked towards the exit of Publick Occurrences, knowing it would be the last time you'd ever step foot in there. "Goodbye, Blue" was all she said as the door shut behind you. "Bye, Piper" you thought, and taking one last glance around to be sure there was no one watching, you teleported into the very lair of those who ruined your old, ever-missed life.