39. Never Again

"I didn't scare him too badly, did I?" May asked quietly.

"I don't know." Angelina replied, watching Casper closely. He was breathing normally but his face was chalky.

"I didn't think he would faint like that." May stifled a giggle, trying to snuffle the sound with her palm.

Angelina chased away the urge to snort.

Casper began to stir on the bed, making incoherent sounds. Angelina called out his name, tapping his shoulder.

His body tensed before he abruptly sprang up into sitting position, staring at her as if she'd just crawled out of a dark and dreary hole.

"Uhh, hey, you fainted." Angelina informed the man.

Casper blinked then abruptly swung out of the bed, scanning the room desperately. His whole body was coiled tightly as he studied his surroundings. "F-fuck, I was dreaming." He sighed, rubbing his jaw absentmindedly with a quivering hand. "I thought I saw May." He croaked, trying to reorient himself.

"You weren't dreaming you really did see her. You just fainted." Angelina explained, holding out her hand so he could take it, "If you have physical contact with me, you will be able to see her, just as I can." She added.

Casper didn't say a word but he did voluntarily take her hand. She knew the moment he spotted May because his palm crushed hers in a tight grasp. She could see that he was losing his balance. She feared he would faint again but then he surprised her when he tugged her roughly across the room until he was towering over May.

Casper still didn't say a word.

Angelina made no sound of complaint, despite his splintering hold on her hand. She was merely an observer at this point. She didn't want to intrude on their reunion.

"Brother." May beamed, flashing a wide but shy smile. "I'm sorry I scared you- "

Casper dropped to his knees and tugged the little girl into his arms, squeezing her tightly. May gasped as she became tucked against his chest. For a second, the girl didn't move, but then Angelina watched the moment May realised that her brother had her in his arms. Her body grew limp in his embrace as her arms clutched his shirt tightly with trembling fists.

"You silly girl." Casper said into her hair in a low grumble that was only filled with nothing but absolute love.

"I missed you." May spoke quietly. Her words were slightly muffled against Casper's chest.

"Not more than I have you." He replied, his voice thick with emotion.

Angelina allowed them as much privacy as she could, but she couldn't help but feel her heart clench hearing their exchange. She focused on the dull walls and the chipped windowpanes.

When the siblings reluctantly broke apart, Angelina pointedly ignored the redness of Casper's eyes, or the slight tremble in his frame. He feigned nonchalance when he caught her gaze.

Hmmm, a man of different faces.

"I'm going to help you find Dani." May announced, "I know where she is."

"Where is she?" Angelina asked.

"In the aquarium. The one you took me to for my birthday Casper." May informed, "She's tied up but she's not scared. She's angry."

Casper appeared to be a little more relieved when he heard this.

Angelina nodded, thinking. She jolted when May's little hand squeezed hers. She appreciated the small gesture.

"Did you happen to see if there were a lot of people inside the aquarium?" Casper asked.

May shook her head, "I don't think there's a lot of people in there but the bad man is there- the one that took me."