“P-Please,” Lee stutters—another rare thing. He only speaks suavely, never stutters. “Please stay like this for a while. And please don’t ask what’s wrong.”

            I nod into his shoulder but I already know what’s going on. Under his personality and hard cold presence, he is human. He has feelings. This is real. It’s probably because his birthday reminds him of his father. When I celebrated my birthday for the first time after my father’s death, everything felt so wrong. Memories had flooded me of the past and I just couldn’t feel happy.

            Rubbing my hands in circles on his back, I kept repeating, “It’s going to be okay, Lee. I’m here. It’s okay.”

            Lee pulls back and holds my face in his hands. “I’m so glad you’re here with me, Ivory.” Is he slurring? He rubs his thumb over my cheek. He presses his forehead to mine and I just stare at his blue eyes. No wonder everyone loved blue eyes. “I think I like you,” he murmurs and before my eyes can widen, he kisses me.

            The man who hated my guts is kissing me.

            And the scariest part is that I’m enjoying it. No, I tell myself. And did I hear that right? He… likes me? I push him away and he whimpers in sadness—I feel the same.

            “Lee,” I whisper. “We can’t.” But he’s not listening to me because he passes out. Wait, what? And then I notice the bottles of alcohol behind him. I knew he wasn’t being himself. I sigh. Wait, why was I sighing? Did I actually want him to sincerely kiss me?

            Yes. I shake my head and repeat, No. No. No.

            It’s winter and it’s cold. I don’t want him to freeze. I lean down and put his head on my lap. Reaching into his pocket, I get his phone and dial up the chauffer to pick us up. Everyone else starts to leave, too, since we already cut the cake.

            When the chauffer arrives, he helps Lee get to the car and I make sure I have everything with me before leaving.

            “Ivory!” Mark calls. I turn around, a step away from the door. He catches up to me. “Hey, I had a really fun time. It’s good to have someone to talk to. I don’t really have friends.”

            “Really?” I ask, shocked. “Well, I’m your friend.” I grin as he grins back. I grab a napkin from a nearby table and jot down my number. “Hey. Here’s my number. We should hang out soon. Oh, and it’s just as friends. I’m not hitting on you.” I chuckle.

            Mark chuckles, too. “I’ll keep that in mind.” We bid goodbyes and we wave before I run outside in the rain. It’s pouring heavily now. I hop in the car and Lee’s sleeping inside there. He’s soaked as I am.

            His hair is all over his face. I move his bangs to the side away from his eyes. He looks so sweet when he’s sleeping. I trail my hands away from his hair and to his lips—his soft lips that I kissed earlier.

            I jolt away. What am I doing? Who am I anymore?

            This needs to stop. I will never get a chance with him. There’s no point in even liking him. There is no future if we ever do get together. We’re from different worlds. We’re just not meant to be.

            I chuckle to myself. I sound like such a melo-dramatic person like those whiny girls from romance movies and books.

            We reach the hotel minutes later. The chauffer calls some of the hotel staff to help Lee up. I thank them when Lee’s put inside and give them a little tip for the help. I head back inside and see Lee sleeping peacefully on the couch.