27- Failed Mission

"Sorry, A-Jie. Since you caught us, I guess we could only tell you the truth."

Jiang Wanyin's eyes grew wide. What is Wei Wuxian up to now?

Jiang Yanli tilted her head, a bit confused.

"It's Jiang Cheng!" Wei Wuxian suddenly cried out, pointing at Jiang Wanyin.

Before anyone can react, Wei Wuxian begins to ramble.

"Jiang Cheng has been so short with me these days, I'll suggest we should hang out and he'll reject me... Today I asked him to hang out with me in the arcade and he told me that he had some school project he had to work on with a classmate... But guess what? The classmate told me he was actually going on a date today!" Wei Wuxian stopped to take a deep breath, letting everyone drink up his words.

"A date-?" Jiang Yanli asked.

Then Wei Wuxian continues, "So, as the big protective bro I am, I decided to go spy- well, spy is too big of a word, all I really wanted was to watch and make sure he is safe!! But unfortunately, Jiang Cheng caught me! And... And..." Wei Wuxian took a deep breath, crumpled up his face, and ran to hug Jiang Yanli.

"And A-Jie! Thank god, you are here-!! Jiang Cheng was about to murder me in front of his new boyfriend!" Wei Wuxian fake sobbed. "Say, what is Jin Zixuan doing here?"

Jiang Yanli, extremely confused, asked, "A-cheng has a boyfriend?"

"Yeah! Him!" Wei Wuxian wiped away a tear and pointed at Lan Xichen. He gives the boy a mental apology for putting him on the spot.

Lan Xichen, whose smiling face was now confused, pointed a finger at himself. Me? He seems to be asking.

Jiang Cheng was rendered speechless. Jin Zixuan felt awkward as hell, his face unreadable.

Jiang Yanli looks at Lan Xichen. She asked, "You are A-cheng's boyfriend-?"

Wei Wuxian said, "Yes!" as Jiang Wanyin shouted, "No!" 

Then Wei Wuxian said, "No-?" and Jiang Wanyin said, "Yes-?" The two boys shoot each other dirty looks.

"Are you A-cheng's boyfriend?" Jiang Yanli asked again, to Lan Xichen, ignoring the other two boys.

Being put on the spot, Lan Xichen didn't know what to do. Both Wei Wuxian and Jiang Wanyin's gazes bore into him.

Then Lan Xichen gave Jiang Yanli a bright smile. "Yes!" he said.

Wei Wuxian's jaw almost dropped onto the floor. Then remembering his act, he shouted, "Yeah, see, see! A-Jie, I wasn't lying! Jiang Cheng was gonna murder me in front of his boyfriend!"

"You are right," Jiang Wanyin snarled. "I'm about to murder you."

"See, see!" Wei Wuxian yelled hysterically.

Jiang Yanli put out a hand. The two boys immediately become silent.

"You are-?" Jiang Yanli asked.

Lan Xichen scratched his cheek with a finger. "Yes! You must be..." remembering he doesn't know Jiang Yanli's name, he rephrases his speech, "You must be Wanyin's A-Jie! Wanyin talks a lot about you!" he smiled.

"Ah, really?" Jiang Yanli said.

Lan Xichen and Wei Wuxian nodded vigorously. Jiang Wanyin gaped at his A-Jie and Lan Xichen in disbelief. Jin Zixuan is enjoying the show. (He's the one here for the tea 😉)

"Well, I didn't know A-cheng had a boyfriend," Jiang Yanli mused.

"He does!" Wei Wuxian said hurriedly. "Our Cheng-Cheng is just shy! That's why he didn't tell us, A-Jie!" Wei Wuxian sighed dramatically.