Chapter Thirty-Five

(Bruce's POV)

A week later.

Isabella still hasn't woken up. The doctors say she and our baby is fine, which I was grateful for, but there was only so much I could take. Every day that passed got harder and harder. I wondered what would happen as her pregnancy developed. It wasn't something I wanted to think about. Not yet anyway.

"I'll be back in the next couple of hours," the doctor advised as he patted my shoulder gently before walking off down the hallway. I noticed someone sitting beside the vending machines. They were reading a newspaper which read "WHERE IS THE BAT?" with an image of the bat signal. A signal that I had been ignoring since taking down The Riddler. I felt guilty for not being out there. I wanted to be able to help the people of Gotham and keep them safe, but I couldn't leave Isabella. Besides, she'd probably be angry if she knew I was out there whilst she was in a hospital bed.

I snapped my eyes away from the newspaper and headed back into Isabella's room which was now filled with cards and flowers. Her mom had sent her regards from overseas. I thought she would have visited her at least, but unsurprisingly, there was an excuse that she couldn't. I don't think Isabella would be surprised either.

An hour or so later, there was a small knock at the door. Alfred and I both looked to see Jim Gordon standing in the doorway, holding a bunch of flowers. He gave me a small smile.

"I hope you don't mind me stopping by," he said and I pushed myself up from the seat, approaching him slowly.

"It's no problem at all," I say, firmly shaking his hand. Alfred does the same and Jim passes the flowers to him.

"I just wanted to stop by and give my regards. I'm sorry it wasn't sooner. It's just been very busy at the lockup."

"I can imagine," I mutter.

"I thought things might have been quieter since everything that has just happened," Alfred says, causing Jim to shake his head.

"No. If anything it's gotten worse. Seems to have given the wrong people a confidence boost, not that I understand why considering he's locked up in Arkham," he sighs deeply and then steps closer to Isabella whose sleeping peacefully. "How is she anyway?"

"She's doing okay," I respond.

"I'm really sorry. She's been through enough. She didn't deserve this." He turns his attention to me. "This can't be easy on you. I'm sorry."

"I appreciate your concern. I know Isabella would too."

I hadn't told anyone about Isabella's pregnancy. Of course, Alfred knew, but I didn't want to say anything, especially not without discussing it with Isabella first. I know I could trust Jim, but that wasn't the point.

"Anyway, I should get going and leave you be. If you need anything you know where I am," he advises and I nod.

"Stay safe out there, Sir," Alfred instructs.

"I'll do my best. I just hope the Bat decides to make an appearance soon. Could really do with him."

"I'm sure he'll make an appearance again soon," Alfred states.

"I hope so. Anyway, I'll check in with you soon. Keep me updated."

We say our goodbyes to him and once he leaves, I take my seat next to Isabella again. I take hold of her hand and squeezed it gently. I wished that she would squeeze back. I missed her sparkling blue eyes, her radiant smile, and especially her laugh. I missed everything about her. When we had broken up those years ago, it hurt, but she was okay. I could live with that if I had to, but I couldn't live in a world without her. I needed her and I wouldn't stop praying until she woke.

"Jim wasn't wrong when he said about crime getting worse," Alfred announces, looking up from the newspaper in his hands. "A young woman had her Brooklyn apartment broken into last night. Left her and her seven-year-old son tied up. Stole everything they had."

"It's terrible. I wish I could stop it. I feel awful not being able to help," I say as I stroke my thumb against Isabella's skin.

Alfred puts the newspaper down and takes a deep breath. "Bruce..." he stops and my eyes meet his serious ones. "I know you love what you do, but don't you think now might be the time to say goodbye to it?"

I hadn't really thought about it, but he raised a good question. I had risked everything, including my wife. We were going to have a baby. I want to be there all the time for my child. I don't want to miss things or getting involved in serious crimes. Should I really still be doing this?

"I haven't really thought about it," I admit.

"I'll support you in whatever you decide to do. I just want you to do what's best for you. You don't owe anything to anyone, or to this city."

It was a conversation that I needed to have with Isabella. She gave me the best advice and as my wife, and now the mother of my child, I valued her opinion more than anyone. But time was ticking. We need time to make these decisions, and time to plan, but we can't do that right now. We can't even talk.

"I appreciate that, Alfred. It is something I need to really think about."

"I think..." as Alfred was talking, my focus shifts to Isabella's hand. I could hear him talking, but I wasn't really listening because I could swear I felt Isabella's hand move.

"Wait, Alfred," I say moving closer to Isabella. He jumps up with worry.

"What?"

"Her hand moved. Do you think she's waking up?"

"The doctor did say she-"

"I'll get a doctor," I say rushing to the door, but as I reach the doorway, I hear my name and it's from the voice I've been praying to hear. My feet come to a halt and I turn around to see Isabella looking at me.

She's still weak and unable to move, but she was awake.

"Bruce," she whispers weakly and I rush over to her immediately. She was struggling to keep her eyes open, but I press my hands gently against her cheeks and kiss her forehead.

"Isabella, I'm here," I say, tears forming in my eyes from happiness. She reaches up with her hand to touch my face and I take it in mine before bringing my it up to my lips.

"Am I okay? What happened?" She asks.

"You're okay," I reassure, as Alfred hugs her. I hadn't let go of her hand and as she hugged Alfred, her eyes looked up into my teary ones. For a small moment it was as if she was confused, and like she was trying really hard to think about something, but she just smiled and squeezed my hand weakly.

I was eternally grateful that she was awake.