Chapter Twenty-Eight

The next morning, I was surprised to see Bruce and Alfred sitting together at the table eating berries and looking at documents. Bruce even had sunglasses on, but I wasn't going to question it. The two of them seemed to be getting on better anyway and for that, I was grateful. I was due to attend an interview today at a University so I said my goodbyes and wished them luck with the accountants. I did have my concerns about being out of the tower without Bruce by my side, but I did have that device on me where if I pressed the button he'd know I needed him. Of course, Bruce never let me leave the house without it.

When I reached the University, I was quickly greeted by the paparazzi. Nothing new there. I did try to avoid them as best as I could, but they always seemed to just know where I'd be which was worrying. Luckily, when I got there they already gave me some security which was nice. Alfred had taught me a few things here and there so I wasn't exactly scared of being by myself, but the paparazzi could be a lot sometimes and with things being as crazy as they were at the minute, it was better to be safe than sorry.

Isabella, do you think the Mayor's killer is also responsible for your father's death? Isabella, how are you and Bruce?

As usual, I ignored every question they screamed at me. I don't know why they even asked the questions they did. Surely they knew that I wouldn't answer them, I never did. The interview I had agreed to today was about the children's home and business only. I was hoping that the interviewer stuck to that.

"Mrs Wayne, how nice it is to see you," a lady greets and she extends her hand for me to shake. "Thank you so much for agreeing to come and talk to us."

"Thank you for having me. You can just call me Isabella."

"Isabella, well I'm Joanne. I'm just the person that is going to show you around and get whatever you need today. I know this is probably a huge deal, right? You're not usually the person that likes being interviewed."

"I'm just a private person."

"You and Mr Wayne."

I loved how private our life was. After everything we had been through, it was the best thing for us. Just because we're well known for what we do, it doesn't give people the right to know everything about our life. I only agreed to this interview because If I came and talked to them they were going to donate a lot of money to charity. A short interview wouldn't harm, and it's not like it's televised. It was refreshing to talk about the business and the children's home.

"It's so good to see that you care so much about these children. They must love you."

"I'd like to think so," I innocently laugh doing my best to keep smiling despite how much I was wanting to leave already. This interview was dragging and I just wanted it to be over.

"So, things must be a little stressful lately?" The lady says as she stops writing and looks up at me from her notebook. I raise my eyebrow in question. "You know with the Mayor's death. What are your thoughts on that?"

One question wouldn't harm, would it? "It's very sad. I just send my best wishes to his family. I'm sure they're struggling."

"You must know how that feels, right? After what happened to your father?" I was starting to feel uncomfortable and I shift in my seat wanting to do nothing more than leave, but I couldn't be rude.

"It was hard, but it gets easier over time."

"Did you and your father have a good relationship? Am I right in thinking that he did get his own men to attack you?"

"I don't see how this is relevant to the interview," I say doing my best to stay calm and not come across as rude.

"Do you really believe that they found Carmen's killer? I mean I know you were both close. So many people are convinced the real killer got away with it and is still out there. What are your thoughts on that?"