Maki's Secret Crush? (3)

Start from the beginning

  "To the mall with Tenko and Angie," Himiko said. "We finished our chores early." Himiko's phone began to buzz. She checked it. "Nyeh...that's Tenko. They're ready." Himiko began to leave, but Kokichi dropped to the floor and grabbed Himiko's foot.

   "DON'T LEAVE ME!!!" he whined. "What if Maki tries to put the moves on me?!" It was Himiko's turn to try and calm Kokichi down.

  "Look, Kokichi, we THINK that Maki has a crush on you," she said. "It's not confirmed."

   "Yeah...yeah, you're right," Kokichi said. "M-Maybe she's learning the error of her Killer Girl ways and just wants to be friends with me." He started laughing to himself. "Haha, yeah, yeah, that's it," he continued. Himiko gave him a worried look. 

  "Are you sure you'll be okay?" she asked.

   "Yup!" Kokichi said, seemingly returning to normal. "Maybe Maki's just trying to be nicer, that's all!" 

   "Ooookay, then, well, I'll see you later," Himiko said. 

  "Later, Monkey Buns," Kokichi replied, giving Himiko a kiss.

   ***

   Kokichi and Maki were in the kitchen, standing side-by-side in awkward silence. Maki was in charge of washing the dishes while Kokichi would rinse them and place them onto the dishrack. 

   "Sooo, how are things with you and Himiko?" Maki asked Kokichi, trying to make conversation. Though Kokichi looked calm on the outside, he started to panic on the inside.

   She's just trying to be nice, he lied to himself. Just be your usual self around her. Just act...normal! "Nee-heehee...awww, Maki is interested in my love life with Himiko! Are you jealous?" he asked her with a cheeky grin.

   "N-Never mind....forget I asked," Maki replied, looking away. For a split second, Kokichi thought he could see her face turn a shade of pink, but he told himself that his eyes were just playing tricks on him. "So, remember that prank you pulled on Kaito last week? Where you switched his shampoo with mayonnaise? I thought that was pretty funny." At this point, Kokichi couldn't keep his facade up anymore.

   "YOU thought that was funny?" Kokichi asked. "But I did it to Kaito...your boyfriend!"

   "I dunno, I just think he deserved it," Maki replied. Kokichi blinked at her in shock. Then, he pinched himself to make sure he wasn't dreaming. 

  "OW!!" he exclaimed.

  "Are you okay?" Maki asked him with concern.

   "I'm fine! I'm fine!" Kokichi replied quickly. He was so lost in his thoughts that he didn't notice Maki handing the plate to him. 

   "Kokichi..." Maki said to get his attention.