Himiko's New Friend (6)

The next morning, Himiko decided that she shouldn't speak for the entire day. She didn't want to say a word to anyone about what Kokichi had told her, fearing Guki might catch on to their plan thanks to that weird device she and Angie had found under her jacket collar. She did decide, however, to say something to her fellow housemates before leaving for school. They were all in the living room watching some TV before heading off. Himiko picked up the remote control to mute the TV.

   "Um...can I tell you guys something?" she said quietly.

   "Oh, uh...sure, Himiko," Kaede said. "What's up?"

   "Well...I'm sorry for calling you guys blind and stupid last night," Himiko apologized. Everyone looked at Himiko with sympathy.

   "It is alright, Himiko," Kirumi said. "We are sorry that we couldn't help you."

   "Was Kokichi able to help you?" Kiyo asked curiously. Himiko shook her head.

    "No," she lied. "Not much he could do except provide some moral support." 

   "Well, can't say I'm surprised," Kaito said.

   "It doesn't matter, anyways," Himiko said. "I've decided to give up on this whole Guki thing. If you guys say she's not real, then I guess she's not real. I'd rather just accept that than go crazy."

   "Are you sure about that, Himiko?" Shuichi asked. "Um...even though we've never seen this Guki girl, that doesn't mean that we don't want to help you."

    "I'm sure," Himiko replied with a determined look in her eye. "I think we should just drop it. Whatever Guki is, or WAS, she's gone. I don't think she can hurt me, anymore. Not even if she tried." As she said this, Himiko thought about the device again. She didn't know exactly what that was, but if that was how Guki was listening in on her and knowing her every move, Himiko hoped Guki was listening right now and that her words would be enough to anger Guki to want to try and attack her on the way to Sunakku after school. Had Kokichi not spoken to her the night before, Himiko would have been terrified at that thought, but she trusted Kokichi to finish his end of the deal, whatever that may be.

    "Well...if you say so, Himiko," Tsumugi replied, giving her a strange look. Everyone else gave Himiko weird looks, as they'd never heard her speak like that. But, they decided not to press the issue any further. They all went to school, Tenko and Angie following close behind Himiko.

   "Sh-Should I say something to her?" Tenko whispered to Angie. 

   "I don't see why not," Angie replied. Tenko walked shyly up to Himiko and tapped her on the shoulder. Himiko turned around to face her.

   "Um...Himiko? I...I'm sorry about not believing you," Tenko said, fidgeting with her skirt. "It's not that I don't want to believe you, it's just that I...I..."

   "Nyeh, it's okay, Tenko,' Himiko smiled, putting a comforting hand on Tenko. "I still think Guki was real, and if she was, she was probably just too much of a coward to face me in front of you guys. I've decided that I'm a much better person than she is." Again, Himiko hoped Guki was listening, and that her words were angering her.