Chapter 3: Hope Against Hope

Start from the beginning

"I'm trying."

Meera was not having a good day and her energy had completely depleted after being on her feet for close to two hours under a bad tempered pedagogue when she could've been in the school's greenhouse in the relaxing company of the plants. She missed her previous teacher who was on a maternity leave.

"Try harder. We'll go again and this time pay attention to what I say."

Meera held back her tears of frustration. She could feel the force of headache barreling towards due to the song blasting through the twin speakers kept on the nearby table hitting all the high notes as she was again commanded to dance at will like a puppet on strings.

At last, after an excruciating half hour as she grew clumsier and light headed, she was taken pitied on and was released from the torturous ordeal for lunch.

Tottering her way to the crowded cafeteria she searched for an empty chair to sit on but amongst the groups of students entering in waves, all the tables were claimed. One glance at the long queue at the food counter dashed her plans of getting something to eat.

Sighing she looked around in dismay when she spotted a familiar freckled face with a mass of curly chestnut hair waving at her from a distance. She sluggishly made her way to him and collapsed on the uncomfortable plastic chair that creaked under her weight.

Sameer passed her the glass of water as she chugged it down to moisten her parched throat.

"That bad, huh?" He asked sympathetically.

"She hates me." Meera groaned putting her forehead on the cold granite table.

"You should quit if you aren't enjoying it anymore."

It was only reasonable since dancing wasn't something Meera was very fond of. She had come close to quitting several times but the proud look of her parents every time she performed kept her from going through. She didn't want to disappoint them, especially her father.

Meera pursed her lips. "Raichands don't quit."

A thin smile laced on Sameer's lips. He had, of course heard this dialogue several times from different members of his family. "Ah, Bade Papa's favourite line." (Paternal Uncle; father's elder brother)

Meera hummed and then asked noticing the vacant space in front of her, "Where is Ahana?"

"She is-" He paused and looked behind her and smirked. "Speak of the devil and she shall appear."

Meera turned around as a fiery red head beelined towards them and plopped down next to Sameer after clapping his back- hard, that he sputtered his drink. "Devil's a 'he', knucklehead. But good to know you all missed me in my absence."

Sameer glared at her when she stole a handful of fries from his plate and munched on them along with her strong coffee. Meera saw him visible grimace at the combination. He was very meticulous about what food to pair with each other while on the other hand, Ahana had no problem mixing things up, even if the end result was downright disgusting.

"I'm thinking of dyeing my hair electric blue," Ahana announced.

This time Meera couldn't help but gawk incredulously. She was trying to find a polite way of telling her red head friend what a bad fashion choice it was but Sameer beat her to it. Keeping a straight face, he said ever so seriously, "Are you trying to make yourself look more hideous? You are natural at it."