Namjoon took the keys with a nod of thanks. "I'll have it back in a week," he said.

"I'll hold you to it," said Sam. He watched as Namjoon walked to the car and shook his head. "That boy is wound up tighter than a rattle snake on a summer's day."

Namjoon packed all his bags into the trunk of the Impala and drove out of town. He was more than ready to get back on the road and make up for the time he had lost the day before, although it had been interesting meeting the people in the small town. He wasn't used to people being involved in other people's lives. In the night he had been there, he learned that Mrs. Booth, the old woman who lived five miles out of town, had broken her hip and there was a pot going to send her food and help her around the house, and that the Petersons had a new baby and the knitting circle was making it a blanket. He also had several people talk to him as he was eating, just to make him feel welcomed. It was different from Korea where everyone minded their own business. Even Jin was into it. He offered to make Mrs. Booth a casserole and gave money for the new parents. He had only been there a month but he already integrated himself in the community.

A figure appeared ahead on the road, trudging through the foot high snow. At first he didn't recognize the figure with the bag on his back, but as he got closer, he saw that it was Jin. He remembered that Jin told Sophia that he was going to walk to a truck stop that was ten miles out of town. He thought of just continuing, but before he could do it, he pulled the car over. Jin jogged over and looked through the window.

"Namjoon! I'm surprised to see you," he said. "I thought you were long gone."

"That makes two of us," said Namjoon. "Are you seriously going to walk to the truck stop?"

"Unless you want to give me a ride, yes."

Namjoon looked at the man, incredulous. He really was going to walk to the truck stop. This guy was crazy.

"Get in," he said.

"Really? Sweet!" said Jin. Jin went around to the passenger side and got in. Namjoon pulled back onto the road and drove. "Thanks for the pick up. I hoped that I wouldn't have to walk all the way there."

"What would you have done when you got there?" asked Namjoon.

"Asked one of the truckers for a ride," said Jin.

"Is that actually safe?" asked Namjoon. "What if they're killers or something?"

"Some are scumbags, but I'd hardly say they are killers," said Jin. "Besides, I'm a good judge of character. I never go with someone who creeps me out."

"It doesn't matter if you are a good judge. One mistake could be your last."

Jin chuckled. "I haven't been wrong yet, have I? I was right about you, wasn't I?"

Namjoon looked confused as he drove. Right about what? They barely interacted. What was it about him that Jin was right about?

"Right about what?" he asked.

"You come off as a completely emotionally stunted person, but you're actually a really nice guy. You could have just kept driving, but instead you pulled over and let me in. That tells me what kind of guy you are."

"I'll feel sorry for whichever girl catches your eye," said Namjoon.

"Oh, I'm not interested in girls. I'm gay."

Namjoon nearly choked on his spit. He was used to meeting with gays and lesbians, but he wasn't too used to someone saying quite the way Jin did, being from South Korea, where such things were kept quiet.

"Is that a problem?" asked Jin. From the tone, Namjoon would have thought Jin sounded worried.

"No, it's not," said Namjoon. "Just, being from South Korea, I'm not used to someone saying it like it was no big deal."

"Yeah, I get that. I'm originally from Korea too. When I first got to town it was a little hard. Sophia developed a little bit of a crush on me and I didnt know how to really let her down gently, so I just blurted it out and then she was like, "Cool. How about a date with my cousin, Ben?"

Namjoon allowed himself a small laugh. It was a little funny listening to Jin retell his experience in the small town. Like the day before, there was something about Jin's voice that was compelling. He talked about the places he had been and the people he'd met with more excitement than he expected from someone his age.

"Uh, Namjoon, we passed the turn off," said Jin after they passed a turn lane toward the truck stop.

"I'm taking you to New York," said Namjoon.

"You are?" said Jin in surprise.

"I'm not going to leave you in a potentially dangerous situation. I'm a lawyer. I know what could happen."

"Yeah, it could happen. I'm not helpless, Joon. I can take care of myself."

Namjoon was surprised by the nickname. No one gave him a nickname before, not even Hoseok, whom he had known since law school. To hear one come out from Jin was both surprising and interesting.

"What made you change your mind?" asked Jin.

"I simply don't want to be an accessory to murder."

Jin laughed. "I highly doubt that would happen," said Jin. "So tell me a bit about yourself."

"Why?"

"Because it's a long trip, and I want to know more about my traveling companion. So?"

"I'm a lawyer."

Jin snorted a laugh and looked at him intrigued. "Gee, Sherlock, I wouldn't have guessed."

"I live in Seoul, South Korea and work for the Ahnse law firm. I graduated from Harvard University and I'm dating Lee Somi..."

"Wait, 'the' Lee Somi? The subject of every straight guy's dream?"

Namjoon's face flushed slightly. He knew Somi was a popular model, and knew that every man in the world wanted to be with her. At parties hosted by people she knew such as fashion designers or other models, he was the arm to lean on and mostly ignored. Eye candy, but somehow he tolerated it and continued to be with her.

"Yes," he said. "Why is that surprising?"

"Because last I read, she was single."

Namjoon nearly ran the car off the road. Somi, single? They had been together for four years, with paparazzi following her every move, and they haven't reported their relationship. Why?

"Hey, man, you okay?" asked Jin.

"Yeah," said Namjoon, controlling his shock. "It's normal from there. Not much to tell."

"What about parents?"

"My mom owns a cafe. My dad passed away two years ago." 

"I'm sorry," said Jin. "I was raised by my great-uncle and his daughter. They're the closest I have to parent figures when mine died in a car accident. As I said before, I'm originally from Korea too, but when my parents passed when I was fourteen, I moved to the states to live with my uncle."

"I'm sorry," said Namjoon, unsure on what to really say.

"It's okay. Like I said, I've got pictures, and good memories of my parents. I've been told I look like my mom."

'So that's where he got his beautiful looks,' thought Namjoon.

Jin reached into the glove compartment and took out a road map. "So, where to go first?" he asked.

"There's actually a road map in there?" asked Namjoon in shock.

"Yeah. I place up to date road maps in all the cars, even the newer models with all that fancy GPS and stuff. There's nothing like a driver, navigator, a map and the open road. People are too plugged in. The only time I've used my cell phone for the last few years was to answer messages once a week and make calls to let my family know I'm alive. I hardly ever use a computer except to answer my emails."

Namjoon was surprised by how unplugged Jin was. In Korea, Namjoon was checking his phone every five minutes in case one of his clients called or if the office needed him. He didn't know anybody that didn't depend on their phone in one way or another.

Through the rest of the day, Jin spoke of the places he had been. Namjoon would never say it, but having a companion was a nice change of pace.