CHAPTER 1

"We need to finalize the documents on the Sang account and Son called again," said Namjoon's secretary, Beom. "He wants to know when you'll have the papers for his divorce."

"Tell Mr. Son, I will send him the final draft this afternoon by messenger," said Namjoon, accepting the file Beom handed him.

"Yes, sir," said Beom.

"Get me all the documents I need for today."

Beom nodded and left to get the files Namjoon needed. Namjoon sat at his desk and picked up the straight black cup of coffee Beom had set on his desk as he logged into his computer to look through his schedule for the day.

Nearing his thirties, Namjoon was one of the top lawyers in Seoul. He credited his success to hard work. His goal was to be a partner in Ahnse Law firm and possibly run it one day. He could say he had the perfect life. A law degree from St. Harvard University and was dating a famous actress and supermodel, Lee Somi. Her father and brother actually owned Ahnse, which was how they met at a function, but he didn't let her position push him toward his goal. If there was one thing his father taught him was that hard work was its own reward.

As a future partner in the firm, and as the boyfriend to the owner's only daughter, Namjoon had a lot put onto his plate, but he didn't let it discourage him and went at his cases with everything he had.

"Don't forget the meeting with the board at Paarc-Hannam," said Beom as she walked in and handed Namjoon the files. "It's at one."

"Thank you, Beom," said Namjoon, taking the files and opening the top one.

Namjoon knew he had a busy schedule today. He got through his morning case work and meetings without a hitch and went down at one to take his lunch, even though he ate a salad at his desk an hour ago, and met Somi in front of Paarc-Hannam, the most exclusive apartment building in the city. He took a taxi to the building and met Somi out front.

"Namjoon," she said, walking up to him, giving him a peck on the lips.

"How are you, Somi," he asked, wrapping an arm around her automatically.

"Well, although I had to fire another hairdresser. None that my agent has hired can manage my hair at all."

Namjoon looked at her glossy ebony locks but couldn't find one hair out of place. He didn't know why she was complaining. He just ran a comb through his and was ready for the day but apparently women spent at least an hour preparing their hair and hers was in a simple ponytail. What was worse was that it was her third hairdresser in three weeks.

"Can't you do your own hair?" he asked.

Somi looks at him, horrified. "Do my own hair?! What do you think I am, a pauper? I don't do my own hair."

Namjoon sighed. "Sorry, Somi," he said. "I'm sure you'll find a new hairdresser soon."

"I know I will," she said. "Come on. The board's waiting."

She took Namjoon's arm and led him inside. They took the elevator to the building office where they met with the three heads of the board.

"Mr. Kim, Ms. Lee," said the woman. "I'm Park Hyejin and these two are Hwan Minjoon and Kim Do-yeom."

"We are so pleased to be here," said Somi. Namjoon didn't mind Somi doing the talking. Except in the courtrooms and meetings, he wasn't very social able.

"It says here you're a lawyer, Mr. Kim," said Mr. Hwan.

"Yes," said Namjoon. "I defend high class clients, make up their wills and so forth."