Remembrance

It was the start of another hazy day at the Casino.

Knowing that you have another shift to fill in today as always (...and forever, since you're indebted to eternal servitude to the Devil), you slowly rouse yourself awake, gently shifting in the warm covers of your bed until your feet reaches the still-hot floor.

You've been working at the Casino for quite a while now, Jasmine, and it's something you can never believe you'd still survive until now.

-----------------------------------------------------------

At first, it was just as you had expected. Drunkards, perverts, shady dealers, and gamblers haunt every single hall of the Casino-drinking, smoking, and gambling all of their sanity (and money) away.

You felt a sliver of pity of them, since they're inevitably going to end up selling their souls to the Devil anyways, and work at the Casino for all eternity, ending up soulless just like you... Well, either that or they'd rather go straight to Hell.

You couldn't blame them if they chose the latter though, because you weren't really sure which one is worse.

-----------------------------------------------------------

You thought about this, and yet, you still managed to patiently work through your shifts at the Casino for what felt like years, even though it felt a little unbearable at times. With all the ogling customers and all.

You weren't even wearing anything "slutty," they just gave you an old men's uniform fit for your size on your first day, since they ran out of uniforms and are still commissioning for production.

Who knew Hell needed outside sources for supplies? You'd think that they have everything here, as they advertised in their flyers around Inkwell Isle... But you guess that's just for anything gambling-related.

-----------------------------------------------------------

While reminiscing about the past, you wore your slick, maroon-hued vest and pants with newfound dignity, straightening the black necktie around your neck with satisfying ease, since you weren't able to do it as smoothly on the first week.

You were unfamiliar with how neckties worked both in life and in death, so you had to swallow your pride and asked King Dice to do it for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------

You remembered how he looked at you quizzically, as if he couldn't believe someone didn't know how neckties were worn, or that you even approached him at all. You couldn't tell.

Still, he sighed and made quick work of your tie, making it a snug fit under the collar of your white blouse, and tucking it beneath your vest.

You were surprised at how gentle and careful he was, given that a lot of the patrons seem to despise him for "bein' an asshole," or a "killjoy," but you thought that it was probably because he's too good at his job at being a manager.

He's more sensible and tolerable than most staff in the Casino, although stoic at times because he's trying to be professional.

Yet despite his seemingly intimidating demeanor, he's surprisingly approachable (if you're not pissing him off), and not as bad you thought.

The both of you chat sometimes on occasion, when both of you are on break or just passing by. Your conversations with him are a brief respite from all the chaos happening in the Casino. Although it only ranged from the usual weather, how-do-you-dos, and polite venting.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Devil on the other hand, simultaneously met and exceeded your expectations. Mischievous and cunning, he tricks customers into dealing more than they could afford until they lose, coercing them into selling their souls to him.