CHAPTER SIX

THE NEXT STEP

THE NEXT STEP

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

---

"And here we go..." Jacobi, an older, graying Italian man with glasses and a beard, sighed as he walked into the dining room, a tray of water glasses in hand. He started to weave through the tables of newsies, handing out drinks to those who asked for one. "A glass of water for you, and one for you, and one for you, and you." Scar, from where she was seated beside Jack on one of the table tops, smiled at the man as he handed her a glass of water, which she took kindly. "And, ah, who's the big spender what ordered the seltzer?"

As Scar handed her half-drunk glass to Jack to finish, Albert raised his hand from the other side of the room. "Over here," he called out lazily.

Jacobi started over to him, still carrying two glasses on the tray in his hands. "And that'll be two cents," he informed him, offering the glass of seltzer.

"Two cents for a glass of seltzer?" Albert asked. Then, he sighed, shoulders slumping. "Just gimme a water."

Placing the glass of seltzer back on the tray, Jacobi handed the other to him instead. "How did I ever see that coming?"

Scar snickered, leaning back on her hands as she let her legs dangle off the table. "I'd say we launched our strike in a most auspicious manner," Davey declared, raising his glass in a toast.

Everyone in the dining room was silent, the educated word that slipped from Davey's mouth unfamiliar to most of the newsies. Scar had an inkling of what it meant, but she wasn't completely sure.

"I don't know about that," Mush stated, squinting as he pointed a finger at Davey before addressing the rest of the newsies, "but we sure scared the bejeebers outta Weasel!"

"Did you see the Delanceys?" Crutchie asked, chuckling as he recalled the looks on their faces.

"Yeah, they didn't know which way was up," Scar remarked with her own laugh.

Jack bumped his shoulder against hers before turning his attention to Davey. "So, what's next?" he asked.

"Now you have to spread the word," Davey replied. "Let the rest of the city's Newsies know about the strike."

"You heard the man," Jack stated as he stood up on the table. "Let's split up and spread the word."

"I'll take Harlem," Mush offered.

"I got Midtown," Race echoed.

"I got the Bronx!" JoJo exclaimed.

"And I got the Bowery," Buttons stated.

Scar smiled, standing up alongside Jack. "Specs, me and you will take Queens," she continued. "Tommy Boy, you take the Eastside." The newsies in question nodded and Scar looked back at the rest of them. "And who wants Brooklyn?" At the mention of the borough, the newsies turned their heads away from Scar. Some whistled, some pretended to be interested in the dirt on their shoes, others just cowered in their seats – hell, she even caught Crutchie playing dead as he let his body hang off of the chair that he was seated in. Scar sighed, hopping off the table and onto the floor. "C'mon. Brooklyn. Spot Conlon's turf." Still, nobody budged. Scoffing, she folded her arms across her chest, calling out, "Finch." The named newsie lifted his head to look at her as she raised an eyebrow. "You tellin' me you're scared of Brooklyn?"