CHAPTER FIVE

TRY TO WALK ALL OVER US, WE'LL STOMP ALL OVER YOU

---

Sitting on the ground, flat on her back at Newsies Square, Scar covered her eyes with her arm as the early morning sun glared against her skin. She was dead tired from the eventful previous night, and wanted nothing more than to sleep peacefully once she returned to the lodging house. But Manhattan had other plans apparently, and she groaned as she lifted herself into a sitting position.

"Them fire sirens kept me awake all night," she complained.

Some muttered in agreement, but Mush, somehow extremely energetic for the morning, babbled on, stating, "Sirens is like lullabies to me. The louder they wail the better the headline. And the better the headline, the better I eat. And the better I eat –"

"The further away from you I sleep," Race cut him off, and Mush made a cutting motion across the air with his hand.

"Morning, everybody!" Davey's now familiar voice exclaimed as he and Les ran hand-in-hand into Newsies Square. "Sorry we're late. We had to help our mom with something."

"They gotta mudder?" Race questioned with a faux pout, looking down at his cigar. "I was gonna get me one."

"What'd you do with the one you had?" Romeo questioned.

"Traded her for a box of cigars," Scar stated matter-of-factly.

Race grabbed the cap from her head and hit her with it. "They was Coronas!"

Scar stuck her tongue out at him as Les proclaimed, "We have a father too!"

"A mudder and a fodder," Buttons repeated, mockingly in awe.

"Ain't we the hoi polloi?" Race hummed and Scar rolled her eyes as she stood up to her full height, folding her arms over her chest as she waited for Wiesel to arrive to distribute the papers to them.

"So, how's it going today?" Les asked everyone.

"Ask me after they put up the headline," Tommy Boy replied, and the other newsies nodded in agreement.

Les pointed up at the chalkboard, calling out, "Here it comes now."

As Scar squinted into the sun to see, Albert read it off, saving her eyes the trouble. "New Newsie Price: Sixty Cents Per Hundred."

Scar's stomach dropped. Sixty cents per hundred papers?

"What the hell?" Scar questioned as the other newsies started to notice the headline and converse about it.

Davey made his way over to Scar, asking her, "Is that news?"

"Hell yeah, it is!" she exclaimed, seeing red as fury boiled in her veins, combined with fear. "They jacked up the price of papes, ten cents more per hundred! And for what?!"