c h a p t e r n i n e t e e n

chapter nineteen: GOING HOME

WHEN WE CAME BACK home it was almost midnight

WHEN WE CAME BACK home it was almost midnight. Nate went to take a shower and I took a shower in my own room, but then came back to his room and laid down in his bed. I stayed awake until the sun began rising outside. I was waiting for him to join me. He never did.

I fell asleep for a few hours and when I woke up, he wasn't there. I found a note on my side of the night table as well as my old pink iPhone, the one he refused to give me back all those weeks. The note was short.

Connell will take you to your father's house when you're ready. Call and warn him you'll be coming.

I sighed. I went first to get breakfast, not even bothering to change out of my pajamas.

"Why the long face?" Martha asked, watching me nibble at my porridge.

I sighed. I felt weirdly empty.

"Did Nate say anything to you?"

"He said you should call your father and tell him you're coming."

I averted my gaze to my porridge and kept on nibbling it with a spoon, unable to swallow a single bite.

"Yeah, he left a note. But I don't want to call dad."

"Why not? Do you not wanna go home? You don't have to, you know."

"I should come back. At least for a few days. To figure some stuff out." I was quiet for a moment. "Martha, do you think my dad is a bad person? Even you must know more about him than me. I just found out yesterday that I know absolutely nothing about anything."

Martha raised her brows and leaned back on the counter.

"I don't think there are good or bad men. They just are. But your dad did do some things to Mr. Jacobs that are... unforgivable."

She probably didn't know Nate had already told me all about it.

I leaned back into my chair. I had no strength left.

"How can I marry someone who will forever hate my family?"

Martha smiled a little.

"So you were thinking about marriage, huh?"

I sighed. Again.

"It doesn't matter, because if what Nate told me is true, everything just got a thousand times more complicated."

I grabbed my phone and turned it on.

"I should call someone, so they know, at least."

I went to my room to make a call. I didn't want to call dad. So I called mom.

"Hi, mom. It's me, Cassie," I said. Of course, she knew it was me, she had my number. But still, I said my name. as if she could've forgotten it.

She was surprised to hear me, then she panicked and asked if I was okay, and then started crying, saying it was all her fault that Jacobs kidnapped me and that she should've taken better care of me. I didn't even get to say a word.