Chapter Twelve: Will the Wise

ǝʍ ǝɥʇ llıʍ
ǝʌlǝʍʇ ɹǝʇdɐɥɔ

A/N: disclaimer: The phone is fake I just made it up. If it happens to actually be a real number then it was just a coincidence. And also fuck Billy lol. I'll admit I do like him just because I'm attracted to assholes but duck him in this story. We will protect Max.

November 1, 1984

When I got there Joyce was just pulling in. I shifted into first, turned the car off, and set the E-break before getting out. "Mrs. Byers?" She turned around and looked at me, "yn, have you seen Will?" She asked. I shook my head and followed her into the school. We checked the AV room first until we heard someone calling for Will. "Dustin!" I said as he and Max came around the corner. "Mrs. Byers. YN," he said. "What's going on? Where's Will?" Joyce asked. Then Lucas came running through the door, "The field!" He said and ran back outside. We followed him outside to the field to see Will just standing in the middle of it. Mike was beside him, "I just found him like this. I think he's having another episode!"

We stood around while Joyce tried to wake Will up. His eyes flew open with a gasp and once Joyce calmed him down she got his bag and led him out to her car. "Okay, that totally freaked me out," Max said. "That didn't freak you guys out?" She asked. I stood behind the four of them. "Two episodes in two days," Lucas said. "It's getting worse."

"Wait. When did he have the other one?" I asked. "When we were out trick or treating," Mike said. "You think it's true sight?" Lucas asked. "What's true sight?" Max asked. "It's nothing," Lucas told her. "Why don't you guys go get your stuff and I'll take you all home." While they went to grab their stuff I got to work on putting their bikes in my trunk. "Max sits up front. What's your address, sweetie?" I asked. "4819 Cherry Lane," she told me.

I drove to Max's house, seeing Billy's car there. Before she got out I stopped her, "hey Max, if you have any problems with Billy call me and I'll come get you," I said. I turned and looked at Dustin, "I need pen and paper." He dug into his backpack and handed me a pencil and piece of paper. I wrote down our number and then handed it to her. "And I mean anytime," I told her. She got out of the car, shoving the paper in her pocket, "thank you," she said. Dustin for out and for in the front seat.

Henderson
896-8468
Call Any Time

After I dropped Mike and Lucas off I finally took me and Dustin home. Dustin seemed to be in a hurry and ran inside leaving me to put his bike away. I was just tired and wanted to go to bed. After I did my homework I helped mom with dinner then helped clean up before going to bed.

November 2, 1984

When I woke up this morning Dustin was being weird and secretive but I had ignored it and went to school. When I was getting ready to walk out to my car after school I heard my name being called. Not really in the mood to talk to anyone I just kept going and went out to my car. Of course when I got out there I saw Billy leaning on his car looking at Max. I turned to see her talking to Lucas. She finally turned and skated down to his car.

When she got there he moved around to the driver's side. I tried to mind my own business. I really did. "That kid you were talking to, who is he?" Billy asked. I threw my bag into the passenger seat and looked up. Max looked at me, "it's no one," she said. "No one?" He asked. Max turned to open her door and Billy looked at me over his car. "This kid from my class," she said. She got in the car and Billy looked back over at where Lucas was. "Leave him alone, Hargrove." He looked back at me. "He's one of those kids I told you not to fuck with. So whatever is going through your mind, fucking lose it. Don't be a fascist asshole."

He got in his car and started to talk to Max. She looked out the window and up at me. "Why was he talking to you?" Billy asked. Max just kept looking at me, "just for a stupid class assignment," she told him. "Then why are you so upset?" He asked. "I'm not," she said. "Is he causing you trouble?" Max must have seen that I was about to say something so she shook her head. "Why do you care?" She asked, looking at him. "Because, Max, you're a piece of shit but we're family now whether we like it or not, meaning I'm stuck looking out for you."

I was about to shut my door when I saw him grab ahold of her wrist. That just passed me off and I got back out. "This is serious shit, okay? I'm older than you and something you learn is there are a certain type of people in this world that you stay away from, and that kid, Max... that kid is one of them." I opened her door and Billy looked up at me, "let her go. Let. Her. Go!" I said. He let her go and I stood aside, "come on, Max. You can ride with me," I told her.

She didn't move, just kept looking at Billy. Billy scoffed, "She's not going anywhere with you," he said. "Max, get out of the car," I said. She got out and ran around to the passenger side of my car. I leaned down and looked at Billy. "Don't fuck with my kids. And don't worry I'll talk to her mom. I mean I am the one everyone goes to when they need someone to watch their kids. You can now be free and go Whore yourself around." I slammed his door shut and he pulled out then sped off.

When I got in the car Max was looking out the window. "Hey. Let me see your wrist," I said. She looked at me, tears running down her cheeks. "Oh, honey. Come here," I said. I pulled her into a hug. "I'm going to talk to your mom, okay. That way you can just get a ride with me to school and home."

When I took her home Billy wasn't there. I followed her inside and met her mother Susan and her step-father, Billy's dad, Neil. Neil gave off asshole vibes stronger than Billy did. No wonder Billy was the way he was. I talk to Susan about how I watched all the kids in the neighborhood and she could contact Mrs. Byers, Sinclair, and Wheeler if she would like. I told her I didn't mind talking Max anywhere she needed to go. When Neil brought up Billy I simply made something up that wouldn't get Billy in trouble.

This man didn't give off loving dad energy. I didn't want Billy to have to suffer any harsh consequences.After he had Susan call Mrs. Wheeler and she vouched for me that I was trusted with her children and many others; they both agreed to let me watch after Max too. When I was leaving Billy had just pulled up. I walked past him and got in my car before speeding off.

When I got home my mom was looking for her cat. "Oh, YN, sweetie, have you seen Mews?" She asked. I shook my head, "No. Sorry mom," I said. I gave her a kiss on the cheek and headed to Dustin's room. "I'm sure he's just hiding," I told her before disappearing down the hallway. "Dustin!" I pounded on his door. "Um. I'm busy!" He yelled. "Open the damn door, Dustin!" I said, pounding on it again. "I'm— I'm naked!" He yelled.

"I'll tell mom about your little friend!" I said. The door slid open and I was pulled inside. "Shut up!" He said, slamming his door shut and locking it again. He went over to the tank that was now broken. "Dustin, please tell me that thing didn't do that," I said. He held up something slimy and my stomach turned. "What the fuck is that?" I asked. "Um..." before he could answer a nose came from behind his chair. "Dart?" Dustin slowly walked towards the chair. Looking closer there was blood on the floor. When we looked behind it there was an even bigger creature eating Mews. "I think I'm going to be sick," I said. It looked at us and its mouth opened and I screamed but Dustin slapped his hand over my mouth before pulling me out of his room.

He shut his door. He pushed me into my room and shut the door, locking it too. "Dustin. That thing is a fucking demogorgon!" I hissed. "It's a baby, demogorgon," he said. "It killed Mews! What the fuck are we going to do!" I said. "I don't know. I think of something but I'm sleeping in here," he said. "What. No. No way. Sleep on the couch," I said. "Look, tomorrow we need to get mom out of the house and far away. Then we can lore Dart out and trap him in the cellar." He said. "This is such a bad idea."