It was because of all the misdeeds I have done in the past.

‘If I had known this would happen, I would have picked out any of those half-faced men…’

If he has a good-looking appearance and docile demeanor guaranteed by mother, he surely would have made a hundred times better husband than Cassius Brudenell.

But, the past is already the past.

Now, I had to do what I could.

…And, mother seemed to be trying to do what she could as well.

In a loud voice, she called for her favorite maids.

“Did you call us, Madam?”

The three maids ran immediately inside and looked meekly at mother.

“Evelyn has received a proposal. Which was also sent by Sir Cassius Brudenell.”

“….!”

The power given by the name of Cassius Brudenell was very powerful.

The three maids turned blue with astonishment at first, although soon it became a spectacle, with their faces turning red from excitement.

“As you all know, Evelyn has been a little… she was a little busy.”

My mother used polite expressions, but in reality, I had been closer to another expression, which was ‘crazy.’

“That is why she has not been paying much attention to her makeup. Can you take responsibility and take good care of it?”

“Yes, Madam!”

The three maids answered with their faces firm as if her mother had given them an important task.

‘…I need to run away.’

I did not think long.

If caught by their hands, my skin will be peeled off, and then all the hairs under my neck will be plucked and even my nails will be sharpened.

I never dreamed of being subjected to such humiliation…

“Catch her!”

When I heard my mother’s voice, I was already running down the hallway at full force.

“Gasp, gasp—!”

There was only one refuge I could think of.

It was the basement.

‘I can just lock the door.’

The lock that I have asked the craftsman had put on to prevent Cassius from doing anything stupid now seemed like a savior.

Thinking so, I frantically ran towards the basement.

Of course, I did not forget to deliberately return to the main path to confuse the maids who followed me along the way.

Finally, I saw the iron door of the basement.

‘I am alive…!’

Panting, I swung the basement door wide open… Ophelia was there.

“Ophelia?”

I was dumbfounded.

Obviously, I gave her a new room. Even though it was a room for surveillance, the environment itself would have been much better than the basement.

Ophelia glanced at me with her rabbit eyes.

“Wh, why are you here…”

“For now, shut up.”