"Come in, sweetheart."

"Am I disturbing you?" Aine asks with a shy smile, entering the room.

 Elliot shook his head, motioning for her to come in. The girl studies his face, noting the redness in his eyes and the alcohol near his reach. Then, she walks right into his open arms and surprises her father with a hug, making Elliot's eyes widen. "What's wrong, Aine?" he asks her, concern laced in his voice.

Aine gave a silent shake of her head, resting her chin on his shoulders as she tightens her arms around him, patting his back. "You look upset, dad. I just thought you needed a hug," she tells him, drawing imaginary rings on his back like he use to do when she was sad back when she was a kid. It would always make her feel better and she could only hope he feels the same. She sat next to him and peered up at her father. "Is there something bothering you?"

Her father gave a light chuckle, blinking slowly down at her as the effects of alcohol was still in his system. He caresses her head as he hugs her back, his smile faltering for a split second. "What could there be to bother me... When my daughter is here giving me ALL the strength I need?" he said to her.

Aine simpered at his remark and she shot her father a doubtful look. 

"It's true!" he tells her with a nod.

"Really?" she questions and Elliot wraps his arm around Aine and pulls her close.

"Of course, my little Sunshine!" he replied, kissing the top of her head as Aine leans on her father, feeling safe in his arms. "It's the alcohol making me sentimental and reflect on some memories."

"What memories?"

Elliot's lips twitched and he quickly smothers on a grin to her, "I'll tell you another time." 

Aine frowns at his reply, disappointed that she wouldn't get to hear the tale of his memories. "I wish I could drink with you someday," she said to him, pushing away the thought. "I always see you and Aion drinking and chatting together and you two always look so chummy afterwards!" she reveals and he burst into laughter.

"Well, we are chatting now, aren't we, Aine?"

"It's different!" Aine retorted, pouting a little. 

Elliot raised a brow and shot her a teasing smirk, "Are you jealous, sweetheart?" 

The girl scoffs in return, crossing her arms, "Not at all! Who is jealous of who?" she exclaims. She pauses, trying to find a reason for her to be feeling such emotions. There was no way she was jealous! "It's just that— Well— Um..." she stutters before clicking her tongue, giving in to her childish behaviours. "Yeah, okay. Maybe I am a little— Just a little!"

Her father chortles loudly at her reaction, ruffling her hair much to Aine's dismay. Her long straight locks were curling back now that the styling that Aion had done for her was losing its magical touch. He embraces her again, swaying along with her like old times. "You know I always love you, right?" he asks her and she bobs her head quietly. "Always, sweetheart. Always..." Be it now and after, even when she knows the truth behind her identity and past, even if she decides to hate him for what he has chosen to do for her sake. 

He would always love her.

"I love you too, dad. To the Sun and back, remember?" Aine reminded him, smiling sheepishly.

"To the Sun and back and till the Sun shines no more," Elliot finishes, stroking her cheeks. He had thought his little girl had grown up after starting her time at Hogwarts, venturing out to find love and to experience what it's like to love someone but it seems like she was just how she was heretofore, sweet and pure as a child-like before. "We can always drink together when you get older, with Aion too," he reassures her, tapping on her nose.

Aine scrunched her nose, another smile creeping her way onto her face slowly as she anticipates happily that day. "I can't wait for it then! We're going to drink until daylight!" 

"So am I, sweetheart. But I'm afraid you're going to have to train on your tolerance first if you want to drink until sunrise!" he jokes, remembering Draco's words from earlier.

"Well, I definitely will! Look forward to it, dad!" Aine replies confidently, pumping her fists, the competitive side of her emerging. "It's a promise then!"

Her father nodded once more, "Promise," he pledged, laughing along with his daughter as her lips curled up. His gaze softens at her, he looks up to steal a glimpse back at the concealed box within the wall behind the mirror, staring straight through his reflection. His jaw tightens. Knowing that he did not have the power or heart to destroy the artefact drove him mad. So all Elliot hoped was that his daughter will never find out about it, even if it meant keeping the dirty secret and gift for as long as he could. 

For long as I live...

Because that was the only way he could protect her, as selfish as it seems. It was the only way to preserve the beaming smile and happiness of his beautiful precious daughter.

But he could only lie to himself, because deep down Elliot knew, that the guilt was crushing him and the time was ticking away. The seal was already cracking and in no time, it was bound to break. 

The unknown will soon be known...

─── ⋆⋅☀⋅⋆ ───── ⋆⋅☀⋅⋆ ───

Any thoughts so far? Comment down and let me know~ ^^ Do upvote if you enjoyed this little chapter!

- Zeneria