[ 11 ]

Rattling and swaying, the carriages rolled in convoy up the road. The silhouette of the Hogwarts castle welcomes old and new students back for another year. When they passed the two marble pillars with winged boars statues on either side of the gates to the school land. Aine squinted into the darkness ahead, just where the hoard of pumpkins were all laid sprawled over the ground near the Forbidden Forest. Usually, it would be brightly lit by their gatekeeper friend, Rubeus Hagrid, but unfortunately, it was completely pitched dark. It was as if no one was home.

Again, it was strange that none of them had seen Hagrid since the giant would usually be welcoming them first at the station. Aine heaved a sigh, meeting the eyes of Harry, Ron and Hermione who were all equally stumped at the missing presence of their friend. Surely, they would all know soon enough.

When the carriages came to a halt near the stoned steps, Neville had gotten out first. In return, he helped the three girls down while Harry and Ron simply scan over to the looming hut that belonged to Hagrid. Luna bid her farewells to Aine and her friends as she joins the rest of her Ravenclaw housemates who were gathering to enter the Great Hall while Neville had excused himself to find his friends. Aine tapped on the boys' shoulders and they whipped around with raised brows. "Shall we head in?"

"Oh, yeah. Let's go!" Ron cheers listlessly, running along with Hermione while Harry continues to stare at the creatures that were pulling the coaches earlier. One by one, they were slowly being lined up before they trod away in unison.

Aine walks up to her friend and she gently strokes the Thestral's beak, surprising Harry with her actions. "Fascinating and beautiful creatures, aren't they?" she asks him and his eyes softened at the bat-like horse.

He nodded. "Yeah, they are. The others might find them creepy if they managed to see it through," said Harry and Aine chuckles, agreeing.

"They're very gentle beings but people tend to misunderstand them due to their appearance," she replies and he nodded again.

The two of them turned their heels, walking towards the indoor as Harry asks again, "How did you manage to see them?" 

Aine purses her lips, deep in thought as she tries to remember. "I don't know but I may have a lead. I think it was when we saw Beaky being executed a few years ago. Luna used to tell me that they can only be seen by people who have seen Death and understood the meaning of it..." she trails off, recalling the brutal death of the Hippogriff after it was being falsely accused. That was until they went back in time and changed the events, saving the innocent Buckbeak and Sirius Black.

"Right..." Harry mutters back, that explains why he hasn't seen it before since he had looked away when the polished axe fell onto the Hippogriff's neck, not wanting to watch the sight that could haunt him. However, Death found the boy again in another tragedy when he witnesses the brutal murder of his schoolmate and friend a couple of months ago. His expression darkened and he balled his fist when he remembers the wrongful killing of Cedric Diggory.

Aine noticed his grim look and instantly knew what he was thinking. She knew better than to ask him but she ended up saying it anyway. "You okay there?" she questions him softly and he scrunched his nose, bobbing his head.

"I'm okay," he lied and Aine patted his shoulders, understanding what he was going through. With the death of Cedric and the baseless allegations surrounding him and even the news of his expulsion a few weeks ago, she could tell he was having a rough time but he never spoke of it. 

"Overcoming grief and guilt is always hard and even if you forget about it, it seems to find its way back to you. But if you ever need someone to talk to, we're here, Harry. Always," she smiles at him, reassuring him through her gaze and words. It was true. They will be always there for one another, sometimes whether they like it or not.