𝑭𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑴𝒐𝒏𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒓

Five

In the year 1926, the sleeping problems worsened in the waking world, especially in London.

A disease that doctors call 'encephalitis lethargica' started spreading like wildfire even more. It has been the content of the few remaining books in the Dreaming's library. Entries of people who have families or loved ones suffering from it were recorded, making us learn about it later on.

People are now begging to sleep - being failed by modern medications such as sleeping pills. Others live as perpetual sleepwalkers, and most slept without walking at all.

While some seem to suffer, a new dreamer surprised me by bearing my thoughts in his sleep once more.

"Alex Burgess." I acknowledged, watching him trail the grassy path to get to where I am resting.

The scenery that his mind created resembled that clearing next to their mansion. I saw it once when I visited where this very boy buried Jessamy.

"You know who I am?" He asked, quite bewildered.

"I do," I replied, gesturing to him to sit beside me. "I am a figment of your imagination, a product of your subconscious, an embodiment of what you dream to be."

"I've always wanted to be a warrior," He admitted, sending me a small smile as he eyed the weapons slinging all across my battlesuit. "Maybe then I would be able to be brave enough to defend myself."

"Well, you're safe here. And if you need to be defended, I am here for that," I said, reciting the oath I had taken when I was created to be what I am today. "But I assure you, nobody can hurt you here, Alex."

"Even my Father?" He asked, warily.

"Especially him."

I was meaning to talk to him further, hoping that Morpheus would pop up in the middle of it somewhere. Unfortunately, his dream was cut short by a voice that resonated loud enough from the waking world.

He looked like he didn't want to leave yet so I was certain he would come back later on.

And he did. That very night, he returned and took me to the same place where we met for the first time.

"How have you been?" I asked out of courtesy, sensing his anxiety as he quietly placed himself next to me and watched the grass dance along with the wind.

"I am torn between feeling alright and not," He admitted. "I think I made a friend."

"That's nice."

"Yeah. His name is Paul. He works for the Magus. He is a very nice boy." Alex shared.

"He's the reason you feel alright," I said and he nodded at it. "What about that which upsets you?"

"I learned that I'm about to be a big brother," He said. "My father's, um, mistress named Ethel is with child."

"You do not want that?" I furrowed my brows.

"I do, I think," He said. "But father does not and that's what upsets me. He wants Ethel to get rid of the baby as if it does not matter at all, like it will not have a life later on."

I let him vent to me about the crisis in his family, patiently waiting for Morpheus to come up but it did not. I could have asked him but I chose not to.

I know that most people forget about what they dream of when they wake up. Alex might not. And if he remembers and got a clue that I am affiliated with Morpheus in any way, he might tell his father about it and put my lord in more trouble.