Chapter 3

Adaline had no idea why she felt slightly uneasy today . She walked around the house like she usually did . It was evening , she was expecting Jason to be home any minute. Dinner was ready and she was so tired. The whole day had been spent in playing with Zach and talking to Martha. She liked Martha and loved Zach. Martha had helped Adaline to make dinner. They were expecting Jason any minute now. Just then, the doorbell rang.

Adaline rushed to the door but Zach beat her to it. But as soon , as Zach opened the door her heart broke.

Jason was there alright but with him stood a gorgeous woman , who , Adaline knew , she could never hope to be. The woman had absolutely perfect golden blonde hair , an extremely beautiful face and the red dress she wore was exposing a lot of skin , but in a way it made her look very sexy. The only flaw Adaline saw here , which was keeping her from being ranked perfect was that she was not very tall. As she moved further into the house , she noticed that both she and Jason practically towered over her.

She moved towards Zach and seemed to be inspecting him. After having finished , she turned to look at Jason and said.

"Jay-Jay , is this the kid ?"

He looked at her and nodded.

"Hmmm", was all she said and walked towards the dining room.

"Jay , I'm starving. Can we please have dinner?", she said .

"Of course. Martha! Please lay the table. Zach , come ! Have dinner. You too, Adaline", he said and followed her.

All of us moved towards the room and after everything was set and we were all ready to eat , Zach asked Jason.

"Daddy, who is she? "

"Zach , this is Leandra".

"Why is she here?"

"I'm here because your father wanted to take me out on a date , kid", she answered for Jason.

Anger flared in Adaline at the rude way she spoke to Zach, but she suppressed it.

"Oh. Daddy , can I go to bed? I'm not hungry ."

"Okay. Adaline , Martha take him."

I got up and took Zach out of the room to his bedroom with Martha , following us. I took him to his bathroom and brushed his teeth and tucked him into bed. Before I left , I heard Zach say , "Wait".

"What happened , Zach ?"

"I don't like Leandra . She's not nice like you."

"That's okay , baby. Even I don't like her , nor does Martha, but we have to bear it for your daddy. If he likes herb, you have to let him be happy. Doesn't he make you happy all the time?"

"Okay. Goodnight, Adaline."

"Goodnight."

I kissed his head and headed to my room when I heard sounds from Jason's room. I peaked to see what was happening. I saw Leandra wrapped around Jason kissing him hungrily. And he didn't look , like he was resisting. I left before I started crying. I walked, more like ran , to my room and closed the door.

I saw Martha on my bed.

"Are you upset m piccolo?", she asked me.

I nodded.

"I'll fix this. You're going on a date tomorrow. I'll tell my grandson to come. He won't mind."

"No , it's fine, Martha."

"No , you will go. We will make the boss regret his decision. You watch ."

"Thanks a ton , Martha", I said and hugged her. She hugged me back and then after some time , rubbed my back and left. I fell asleep with tears running down my face.

Meanwhile , in his room , Jason sat up on his bed and looked down at the empty space. He had just kicked Leandra out just minutes back. She had tried her level best to get him to bed her but he had Adaline's hurt face in his mind and he felt a hundred times more guilty knowing that he caused it. He then specifically told Leandra never to contact him again and she nodded, obviously knowing the wrath he would inflict on her if she tried.

He got out of his room and went towards Zach's . He saw his son tossing and turning , so he sat on his bed and lightly touched him. Jack turned around , gave him a scowl and threw the covers on himself.

"Hey, buddy. What's wrong?"

Zach peeked out of the cover and glared at him.

"I don't want to speak to you , daddy. "

"Why ?"

"You promised me that you would make Adaline my mommy and then you bring that bad lady here. I don't want her. I want Adaline . Now I can't have her , only because of you."

After this , he cried and cried and then Jason spoke.

"I promise son. I will make her my wife and your mother. "

Zach hugged his father and then he had an idea.

"Daddy , can I go see Adaline ? Please. I won't wake her. Please."

I nodded and I carried him with me to her room. I quietly opened the door and let a small amount of light stream in from the corridor light. I saw her face and I saw tear marks on her face and felt a kick to my gut. I felt horrible.

"Daddy, look. She was crying."

My son whispered to me. I nodded and then after staring at her for some more minutes, which seemed like hours , and then we left.

I put Zach to bed and finally fell asleep.