Chpt 27: Scoops Ahoy And Secrets

The next day, i was woken up by El pacing up and down the house loudly. I slowly got out of bed as i went to see what was wrong. "El... It's 9am... I have work at 1... Why did you wake me?" i asked. "It's Mike... He's not here. He should be here" she said.

"Oh jesus" i mumbled as i grabbed went to grab a coffee. As i walked into the kitchen i saw Hopper who had a smug smirk on his face. "What?" i questioned. Hopper shrugged as he continued eating his cereal.

We both watched as El became more and more distressed. She grabbed the phone and walked into her room. "What did you say to Mike last night?" i asked. "Oh... Nothing. I just... Gave him a heart to heart" he said avoiding eye contact with me.

"Really?" i questioned. Hopper nodded. It was obvious he was lying. El came out of her room as she put the phone back. "You okay?" i asked seeing her down expression. "I'm fine" she snapped.

El began to storm out of the house before i stood in front of her. "You sure? Where you going?" i asked with a forced smile. "I need to talk to Max" she said. I hesitated for a minute before i moved to let her pass.

"What was that all about?" i questioned. Hopper gave me a big smile. "Come on kid, i'm dropping you too work" he said cheerfully. "But i don't have to be there until one o clock" i said. "And you might as well be early" he said as he ruffled up my hair.

I was confused why he was so happy. Especially this early but i decided to go along with it. I got into my ugly, yellow uniform and got into Hops truck. He began blasting "You Don't Mess Around With Jim".

He put down all the windows and began screaming the lyrics. I just laughed and sang along with him. It then hit me, he was probably happy because for the first time in six months, Mike and El are not seeing each other.

Once we got to the mall, i grabbed my bag and was about to head inside. "Hey bambi, i may be home late tonight" Hopper said. "Okay... Wait, why?" i asked. "I... Am going out for dinner." "Like a date?" i questioned.

"No! No, no... Well... I don't know. But i'll be back around 11" he said. "First date in 2 years... Good luck" i said as i shut the door.

Once i was at work, i locked the first group of annoying teenagers into the escape room. Once they were locked inside, i walked next door to see Robin and Steve.

Steve was 'flirting' with some girls as Robin was judging him. I walked over beside her. "Why does he do this to himself?" i questioned. "Because he's a dingus, that's why."

I laughed as she grabbed a white board that had the words 'You rule' and 'You suck' written on it. The 'You suck' part has six lines underneath it. And the 'You rule' has zero. "And another one bites the dust" i said.

"You are oh-for- six, popeye" Robin said with a grin. "Yeah, i can count" Steve said. "You know, that means you suck." "Yeah, i can read too" he snapped. "Since when?" i questioned sarcastically.

"It's this stupid hat. I am telling you, it is totally blowing my best feature." "Yeah, company policy is a real drag. You know, it's a crazy idea, but have you considered... Telling the truth?" i asked.

"Oh, you mean, that i couldn't even get into Tech and my douchebag dad is trying to teach me a lesson. I make three bucks an hour, and have no future? That truth?" he questioned.

I patted him on the shoulder. Since Steve and i are officially finished school, we're looking into colleges. Steve got turned down by every single one he applied for. I am still waiting to hear from Yale and Harvard.