Chpt 3: Privlidged

The next day, i arrived at school as normal and tried my best to avoid Steve. After last night, the last thing i wanted to do was tutor him.

He already got me in enough trouble with my dad who was furious with me for walking home so late. I told him it was all Steve's fault but he wouldn't listen.

As i made my way into the cafeteria, i felt a wave of anxiety come over me. Even though i pretend to be above it all, i think everyone can agree how intimidating high school is.

Especially when you have to try and find a seat in cafeteria. I usually sit at the empty table in the corner, but i can still feel people's stares. I grabbed my food and sat down.

"Hey Joy" i heard a voice say. I turned around to see Nancy with her arms crossed as she looked at the ground uncomfortably. "Hi?" i replied. "I was just wondering, did you happen to see Barb last night?" she asked.

Nancy seemed more tense then usual. "Nope... I left when all your friends started insinuating that i was a whore, remember?" i said sarcastically.

"They're not my friends" she replied hastily. I scoffed as i opened my book to ignore her. "So... You didn't drop Barb home?" she asked. I sighed as i closed my book again.

"Nancy, for the last time, i don't know where Barb is. Ask your boyfriend, it was his house" i said. "Ask me what?" i heard a voice say.

I rolled my eyes as i already knew who it was. Steve came over and put his arm around Nancy. "I was just asking Joy if she saw Barb last night" Nancy said. "Nance, i told you she probably just skipped" he said.

"Yea no... Your right i'm just... I'm worried that's all" Nancy said as she rolled back her shoulders. "No... It's cute" Steve said with a smirk. "Do you mind?" i asked angrily.

Steve gave me an annoyed glare. "Do you know what, i've lost my appetite" i said as i grabbed all my things and left. "Wait Joy" Steve shouted as i left.

I walked quicker hoping he would finally leave me alone. "Joy!" Steve shouted as he stood in my way. "Jesus Harrington, what do you want?" i exclaimed in frustration. He took some flash cards out of his pocket and handed them to me.

"Your Romeo and Juliet notes? They were... Pretty good" he said. I grabbed them off him and shoved them in my bag. "So, when's our next study lesson?" he asked. "Next?" i questioned.

"Look Harrington, i know you think that everyone here lives to please you but i have better things to do with my time. So... Its over" i said walking away. "Well, actually no because Miss Miller said you have to" he said walking after me.

"Can't you just get Nancy to help you?" i shouted. Steve hesitated for a minute. "I mean i could-" Steve started. "Good!" i said cutting him off. Steve grabbed my arm gently to stop me from walking.

"What is your problem with me, huh?" he exclaimed. "I don't have a problem with you" i replied crossing my arms. "Well you obviously do. Even before this assignment, you have a problem with me" he said with a scoff.

"I don't have a problem with you Steve. I do have a problem with privileged pricks who think it's okay to treat people like shit" i said. "Yea like your such a gem" he mumbled.

I rolled my eyes as i walked away. "Wait" Steve called out through gritted teeth. I unwillingly turned around and let him talk. "Fine... Let me show you that i'm not a "privileged prick", if you help me get a B on my paper" he said.

I stayed quiet. "I'll pay you" he added on. "How much?" i asked. "$5 an hour" he stated. I tilted my head in judgment. "Fine... $10" he said. "Give me $20 and you have a deal" i said with a smile. Steve hesitated for a moment.