Chapter 20: The Beginning

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Y/N was hesitant for a long while. But finally he gave a slow nod. Vao held out his hand, offering Y/N to take it. "Well, I'm heading that way now. Want to hitch a ride of the Vao Express?"

Y/N took it gently, feeling Vao's soft skin beneath his own. And with the rush of wind and a cloud of ash, Y/N felt his feet land on the uneven ground as Vao teleported them away, landing on the side of the road. From here, both of their houses were visible. Vao turned to his with Verde, looking back at Y/N with a sorrowful expression. "Hey... If you need anything, you can always call me, you know?"

Y/N didn't answer. He just turned and walked away, leaving his friends behind him. The walk to his house wasn't very long. Vao practically lived right next door. But as he approached the front door, he found every step growing increasingly difficult to take. His strode grew smaller, and by the time he reached the door he was barely moving.

Knock knock.

Y/N's hand hovered for a moment before falling back to his side. He could hear someone running to answer, and soon the door flung wide open. Summer stood in the frame, looking thoroughly disheveled. Her eyes were red and puffy, wide with worry. Her hair was a tangled mess, and her clothes were wrinkled. When she saw him, she let out a distressed cry before pulling him into her arms.

"I-I'm so glad you're okay! Come in! Come in!" She pleaded. Still holding him like a child, she guided Y/N inside the house. He looked around, his eyes scanning the walls slowly. The family photos taken throughout his childhood. Normally, Y/N wouldn't care much for them. But as he looked at the photographs of himself and Ruby standing in front of their parents, with the occasional picture with Yang and Vao, he found himself cherishing those moments. The moments before Ruby tried to kill him. The moments before he killed someone himself.

He didn't get to stare at the forever. Soon Summer led him into the living room, where his father waited for him worriedly. When he saw Y/N safe and sound, he breathed a long held sigh of relief, quickly stepping towards him.

"Hey, kiddo... I'm glad to see you..."

But Y/N didn't respond. He just stared. Tai felt a sharp tug in his chest. Back in his days as a Huntsman, he had seen people break before. That was how he knew that Y/N suffered the same fate. Broke under the immense guilt. Tai guided him to the couch, watching as Summer sat down with him. "Do you want anything to drink, Y/N? We have some juice," Tai offered. But Y/N still didn't respond. He just stared ahead with no sense of purpose. Tai decided to get him water instead.

As he poured three glasses, he looked out the window, into the garden. Staring at the flowers he grew himself always soothed his nerves. And it certainly helped when he did it now. Taking a deep breath, he stared at the plants he had carefully tended to. Tulips, roses, daffodils...

Cold water spilled over his fingers. He had lost himself in thought. Pouring a small bit out, he set the glasses on a tray and carried it back to the living room, settling it down on the table and turning the TV on. Y/N stared at it, not really paying attention. He couldn't even tell what sport was being playing. Tai shifted his nervous gaze between Y/N and Summer, biting at his nails. This was worrying. Y/N had never been like this. Y/N always got angry about sports.

No reaction. Y/N wire the same face as a dead fish as he watched. Tai sighed. This would be best left to Summer. He turned off the TV, motioning to her. Summer nodded silently, watching as her husband left the living room. She could hear the back door closing. Tai was in the garden. The middle aged huntress looked up at Y/N, her eyes filled with worry.

"... Are you okay...?"

Y/N looked at her, and finally he spoke. His voice cracked with every word. "... What makes you think I'm okay? I murdered someone."