Chapter 2

All Herb could do was just stare at the stranger, completely in shock at what he was looking at. Why, this must be the wolf Carrot cookie was talking about, he thought as he sat there in the snow. The cookie towered over Herb, casting a shadow on him.

"Get out," they spoke in a stern voice.

"Get out...?" Herb stood up, brushing the snow off himself, "I don't think you understand what I'm here for. I'm not leaving."

As he was speaking, his teeth chattered as he became colder.

"You've confused yourself, you don't belong here. I'll just... you'll hurt yourself," the wolf spoke, turning around to the cave, his back facing Herb.

"Hurting myself is the least of my worries! Where is Snow Su-"

"They're not here!" the wolf barked back.

Herb jumped a bit from the sudden outburst.

"Just go, please."

Herb held himself for warmth, "no, I can't. Snow Sugar came here, and I'm not leaving without them."

"...why do you care so much?" His voice was soft.

"Excuse me?"

"About that kid. No one even bothers to care about that kid, why do you suddenly now care?"

Herb was surprised by the wolf's response, "So, you do know Snow Sugar?"

The wolf faced Herb, "do you?"

"Of course! I've been caring for them for a while, no one's... well... willing to-"

The stranger quickly finished Herb's sentence, "take care of the kid?"

They stared at each other.

"Okay mister, my turn for the questions," Herb stood up straight.

"Is it?" Sass leaked from the wolf's voice.

"Yes! Since they obviously followed you, where are they!?"

"Why should I trust you?"

"How can I trust you!?" Herb snapped back protectively.

"Because I'm making sure they don't get hurt. Go now, I don't want to see you."

Herb called out desperately, "Wait! I can prove myself! I'm trustworthy, I swear. Don't leave yet!"

The stranger turned to him, "Then prove yourself. I'm not handing that kid to just some random cookie."

Herb almost began to envy the pure dominance radiating from him, he certainly was not a cookie to be messed with, but someone who Herb did not fear. He was actually quite glad someone loved Snow Sugar as much as him.

Back to proving his innocence, Herb paused as he came up with an idea. Snow Sugar was holding that cake hound as they ran, surely! If Herb was trustworthy, he would have known about that new little toy Snow Sugar got. Snow Sugar loved that toy to death, so obviously people Snow Sugar trusted got to see it.

"I got it!" Herb shouted, "the toy!"

The wolf tilted his head, "the toy? You know about that?"

"Yes, yes! I know what it is! Snow Sugar always carries it around, so if I know what it is it proves I them well, right?"

The wolf was silent, then responded. "I suppose. What is it then, if you're so confident."

"The cake hound! I remember, they mentioned they got it from a friend!" Herb was practically clapping at his own genius, bouncing around like a child. The wolf gave a suspicious look, then moved to the side.