Epilogue | two

Narration

Harold will turn 18 this year. There was a family tradition that they must start a business at the age of 18 and make it successful before the age of 21. But Harold fell into a slump. He can't come up with any business ideas as he has no dreams and has no idea what he wants to do with his life.

He opens a can of soda and takes a seat on a nearby bench. He saw a girl beside him who appeared to be 12 or 13 years old. The girl's face was expressionless and lifeless. As if life had lost its meaning.

He found this girl intriguing. What may have happened to this girl to cause her to make that kind of expression? While he was pondering, he noticed a beautifully drawn image of a seaside restaurant and resort.

"Wow! Ang ganda," Harold exclaims in awe. But the girl remained silent while she stared into the void.

"Sungit," Harold murmurs softly but loud enough for the girl to hear. However, there was still no response. This arouses Harold's persistent side.

Harold inquired, "Pwedeng patingin?" The girl finally looked at him and showed him the drawing.

"Ang ganda talaga!" Harold exclaims, pointing to the two figures in the drawing, "Sino ito?"

Harold appears to have piqued the girl's attention when she finally said, "Papa and Me."

"What about your mom?"

"Oh, I forgot."

Harold didn't say anything else. He could tell she had some issues at home that she didn't want to talk about. They were silent for a few minutes before the girl broke the silence.

"I'll give it to you," she said, placing the drawing in his lap and decided to walk away.

"Wait!" Harold stops her. "Hindi ko pwedeng tanggapin ito. Mukhang importante sayo ito."

"You think it's beautiful, right?" she asked, and he nodded. "Then it's yours, and you can do anything to it, whatever you want."

"What's your name?" Harold asked as he noticed the girl walking away. He knew the girl was dead serious about giving him the drawing so she didn't have an intention to get it back.

"Hashina," the girl turned around and replied.

"Harold. My name is Harold," Harold said, but the girl named Hashina continued walking until she disappeared. He wasn't sure if she had heard him or not.

"Harolina. Harol from Harold and Ina from Hashina," Harold muttered under his breath as he stared at the drawing.

Hashina had no idea that her childhood dream would be realized thanks to a chance encounter with a stranger.

***

Mini theater:

Mina: So that's the reason why you're transferring the ownership of Harolina to me?
Harold: [proud] Oo naman.