81

Narration

Harold missed your call...

Minami read this sentence from her phone several times.

"Come on, why aren't you answering my calls?" she grumbled. Her concerns grew as time passed. Normally, whenever she called him, he would answer right away. If he is unable to answer, he will immediately message her to let her know. But, ever since Harold flew to Japan for his business trip, their contact had dwindled.

Inside her head, negative thoughts had been brewing. What would happen if he had an accident? Minami brushed her thoughts aside; she shouldn't think of the worst-case scenario. She should instead pray for his safety. However, she couldn't help but overthink whenever what happened especially when their call was cut.

"Mina!" her friends called out to her holding a food they ordered inside the airport. Minami has taken on the role of mother since their group was formed in high school. She would nag them and look after them. But now she was the one being looked after.

"Naku! Bat niyo ba iniiyakan mga lalaki?" Jannie asked to lighten the mood. "A few months ago, si Rikka tapos ikaw naman ngayon. Uso ba yan sa samahan ng mga walang label?" she jokingly asked.

Ellie jokingly hits her, Jannie pretends to be in pain, and Rikka teases the two. Minami sighs and shakes her head. They didn't need to comfort her, their mere presence already relieved half of her worries.

"Paturo ka nga mag-acting kay tito Rhein, ampangit mong umacting, mukha kang nangingisay," Ellie provokes.

"Sige, tapos lalandiin ko," Ellie glared at Jannie with the intensity of a predator hunting its prey.

Jannie simply shrugged and looked at Minami., "Di mo pa rin macontact si kuya Harold?"

"Yeah."

"Tara muna sa Drunk Cafe, tas doon tayo mamoroblema," Ellie suggested while eating the food they bought for Mina, and everyone agreed.

"Nagbreakfast ka ba bago ka pumunta dito?" Jannie asked. Minami responds by shaking her head. The three exchange glances and decide to look for a restaurant.

Minami follows them absentmindedly.

When they arrived at the restaurant, she dialed Harold's number once more. But it was in vain.

Until she received a call from an unknown number. She didn't even look at the caller ID before answering the phone and putting it on speaker. Minami let them stay for them to hear their conversation.

"Hashina!" Harold exclaimed.

"Ha-Harold."

"I've been dialing your number for hours, bakit ngayon ka lang tumawag. I'm worried you know that?"

"I'm sorry, love. Nasira phone ko nung may nakabangga ako habang kinukuha ko luggage ko."

Minami calmed down when he said that. Thank goodness, he was not hurt.

"Bakit ba ang super clumsy mo. And why did you just contact me now? You know naman na I'm going to fetch you. Where are you?"

"Actually..."

"Hmm?"

"...."

"Harold?"

"I rescheduled my flight and.."

"...."

"Kamukha mo yung nakabangga ko [pause] parang older version mo."

Minami tightens her grip on her phone. The three girls looked alarmed when they heard Harold's sentence.