45

The hospital wing was like any other, a sterile white that was meant to instill feelings of cleanliness. A blank slate. Yet, really it just made its inhabitants echo with a sort of emptiness that was difficult to shake. The narrow windows were bright enough to let in a sliver of the morning light, but the glass was charmed so that none could see in from the outside. Such wards made the Healers feel more isolated, as though St. Mungo's were a segment of its own universe that revolved outside of normal time. None was truer to this sentiment than the fourth floor, where the most extreme cases were handled.

It was on this floor that Animo Grindelwald received her usual visitor, his hair swept smartly across his brow in a fashion that was best suited towards business conferences, or perhaps the Ministry. The boy, who was really more of a young man, waited for the bumbling nurse to leave before he took a seat beside Animo's body. At this point, the patient was more corpse than human, the steady beeping of the machines the only indication she was still alive.

Tom Riddle flipped through the clipboard hanging on the end of her bed, his critical gaze scanning for any change the healers may have overlooked. He didn't trust the overeducated fools, having gone to school with many of them. In fact, the current head of the department had scored lower than he had on his practice NEWTs. It also didn't help that he knew Abraxas had seduced her into bed on more than one occasion.

He sighed, scanning Animo's pale skin as he tried not to think about the irritating Malfoy. Abraxas had not left him alone since Dumbledore's funeral, insisting that they share a flat in London. His enthusiasm largely stemmed from escaping his father's punishments, but Tom had begrudgingly agreed all the same. If only Abraxas hadn't been determined to take the ruddy elf with him.

"Dobby knitted me another pair of socks." Tom still felt rather self-conscious talking to Animo, but he always did a secure scan of the room to make sure they were alone. Her irritating Hufflepuff friend.. Cilla? Celene?... had said it made her feel like Animo was there with them. Tom didn't see the logic in that, but there couldn't be any harm.

"It's been a year." Trying to push away the anger that burned in his stomach, Tom reached for Animo's hand. It was ice cold. He remembered the touch of her warm fingers trailing down his cheek. Then, he shoved that thought away too. "Well, I best get back to work." The Department of Mysteries had seemed like the best opportunity after he had graduated Hogwarts. Interpersonal interaction was minimal and Tom certainly took advantage of studying the various items the Ministry kept locked away. Keeping secrets had always been a strength of his.

"Tom?"

He looked up to see Avril Zabini lingering in the doorway, her long braids nearly hidden under the weight of the bouquet in her arms.

"Hello." Tom was not particularly comfortable around the younger girl, who always seemed to see through his shields. He constantly checked to make sure the walls of his mind were held.

Avril positioned the flowers beside Animo, bending down to press a light kiss to the girl's cheek. A large silver ring glittered on her left hand, bearing a black diamond that Tom was certain was worth a great deal of gallons.

"Congratulations," he nodded stiffly towards the ring with his best attempt at a warm tone. She and Black had gotten engaged last month, settling down the rift between their families. However, Tom strongly suspected that Alphard and Avril were going to disappear the moment they left Hogwarts. Neither were eager to continue many of the pureblood traditions their parents instilled. After Animo..

He swallowed, frustrated at the ball of emotion that had suddenly coiled in his throat. As long as he had known her, Animo had seemed afraid. Uncertain of what she was doing. Now life went on, with hints that she had existed, but nothing more than a whisper of her name.