8

Animo tugged on the sleeves of her sweater anxiously, gazing at her reflection in the mirror with a hint of disbelief. The school uniform was a bit different from the ones in the future, with a longer skirt and thicker wool, but besides that, she looked every bit the student she had dreamed of being. A dark green ribbon twisted through the braid over her shoulder while she gave her cloak a last pat, the Slytherin emblem on her chest glittering in the torchlight. She had spent the past twenty-four hours with little sleep, decorating and redecorating her room until her walls were covered with tapestries of her favourite books and moving images of places she had yet to see. A large world map shone above her bed, waves of blue tossing wherever an ocean lay.

She fiddled with the clasp around her wrist once more, her neck feeling bare without the comforting reassurance of the Time Turner. Animo had buried the relic deep within her trunk underneath an enormous assortment of protective spells and enchantments. With the dark characters she was due to encounter, she couldn't risk any chance of such a powerful object landing in the wrong hands. Running a finger over her arm upon which the Dark Mark was emblazoned, Animo pulled up her other sleeve.

Along her bicep was slashed a crude mark of the Death Hallows, the triangle positioned at a harsh angle to her elbow. Gellert had cut the mark into her skin not long before Ariana had died to make sure the strange men he had dealings with knew not to lay a finger on Animo. Unless they wanted to meet a grotesque end. Animo shuddered as she traced the thin lines, remembering her brother's detachment in the last months they had lived together. In his own twisted reasoning, she knew that he had seen Animo's mark as a form of protection, bearing one of his own upon his chest.

Her gaze caught on her reflection before she strode out the door. Ever since her encounter with Albus, Animo had charmed her eyes to a murky brown and it made her do a doubletake every time she looked in the mirror. Still, here she couldn't afford to be traced to Gellert. Anyone who had met her brother would take one glance at her violet gaze and instantly label her a Grindelwald.

With that thought, Animo leapt down the stairs, her usual clumsiness forgotten as she darted through the Slytherin Common Room and jumped onto the leather sofa for good measure. If she timed her entrance right, she could follow the crowd and find a seat unnoticed. For her plans to work, she needed to keep a low profile. Or one just inconspicuous enough that no one would ever guess that she was out of time.

To her relief, the corridors hummed with activity while the shadows of the torchlight flickered on the stone walls, crackling merrily in time with the shouts of students. Animo eyed the driverless cart beside her with envy, stacked with a mountain of luggage that appeared ready to topple at any moment. She had always wanted to ride the Hogwarts Express.

Following her nose, Animo ducked behind a pair of Hufflepuff girls, both with their hair rolled back in near identical styles and matching lipstick.

"You haven't seen Peeves have you, Cilla?" the girl on the right cast a glance over her shoulder fearfully. "I'm afraid—" she trailed off when she realized that Animo was standing awkwardly behind them. "Oh hello!" her hazel eyes brightened. "You must be new."

"Cilla!" the raven-haired student on the left stiffened and tilted just enough that Animo got a glimpse of her side profile. The pair had to be twins. Their tan skin and freckled noses were identical. The only difference was this girl had her bangs trimmed to brush over the tops of her eyes. "Do you not see her tie?"

Her sister sent her a reproachful look. "Cel, she can hear you." Cilla turned around and Animo caught sight of a Head Girl badge proudly pinned to the left of her badger crest. "I'm Priscilla Suzuki. But call me Cilla." She wrinkled her forehead in disgust. "My name's dreadful."