Frowning, Animo glanced over at Tom, who had begun to stand as though he had just woken. Still, the sharpness in his gaze told her that he was weighing what had been said between her and Albus. "How did you know about Azkaban?"

"Avril warned me," Albus sent a sly smirk, "I daresay her abilities as a Seer will pass those of the Trelawney's."

The image of a batty woman with overlarge spectacles hovered in Animo's memory and she winced. "I hope so."

With a last look at Tom, Animo held out her hand in question. Wordlessly, the Slytherin slid his fingers through hers. The trio apparated from the Grindelwald's home with a loud pop, leaving no trace that they had ever been there at all.

Another rush of wind billowed through the air, nearly toppling Animo off her feet. Beside her, Tom grumbled while he pulled his robes closer to his chest. "Why is there always a storm?"

Animo ducked her head as she observed their surroundings. They stood upon a patch of thick grass, overlooking a great ravine in the earth. Pine trees sprouted of their own accord in every direction, spotted with other borealis and undergrowth. To their right, the Austrian Alps continued in their mighty march to the south. Animo was all too aware of their surroundings.

"He's here?" she murmured, feeling as though her journey had come full circle.

"Gellert has made his final stand." Albus's gaze was not on the land, but on the fortress below them. Flashes of light interrupted the rugged wilderness about them and the smell of smoke could just be detected. A chorus of shouts resounded off the boulders.

Tom shook his head at Animo's stiff posture, a rare sort of pity in his eyes. Saying nothing, the Slytherin held her fingers tighter as they began their descent towards Nurmengard.

As she picked her way across the stones, Animo was deterred from her thoughts as Albus held out a familiar wand. Her eyes widened in amazement as she reached out eagerly, a flood of relief rushing through her veins as the wood brushed her fingertips. It had been like losing a piece of herself. "How did you manage it?"

Albus lowered his gaze long enough to twitch his brow wryly. "Never underestimate the power of blackmail at the ministry."

Deciding it was better not to ask, Animo clutched her wand tightly to her side. Tom gave a small noise that she nearly believed was a note of approval.

"Don't get any ideas."

Tom sent her a snide look, the sun making his curls gleam with gold. "But the blessed hero of the wizarding world deems it acceptable."

Suddenly, there was a loud crack that echoed across the cliffside and the clouds ahead rumbled. The sky had been darkening with the descent of the sun, but it now began to change a violent purple.

"Animo." Albus's gaze was fixed on the top floor of the fortress. The clouds were swirling around the center of the pillars, hiding the stone from view. "We must now set aside our reservations. If Gellert is to be defeated, we can't afford any mercy."

Swallowing thickly, Animo dipped her head, hoping the motion was more confident than she felt. Tom pulled her forwards and they narrowly evaded a scarlet curse as it rebounded over their shoulders.

"Gotcha!" Worthington bared his teeth in the direction of a stunned acolyte before he whipped around and caught sight of Animo and Tom. His satisfaction faltered. Then, the man gave a curt nod. "We've cleared the way to the top floor. Move quickly."

Albus dipped his head in return, ushering them onwards through the chaos.

"This way!" Animo cast a last look at the auror and prayed for his safety before she led her companions towards a back staircase. The steps led directly to the top of the fortress.