"Isn't that what he did in your time?" Tom stalked down the steps, the hem of his robes sweeping across the peeled wood. "Why not let him take charge? The Ministry already has the map of Nurmengard."

Grimacing, Animo tried not to think about the frustration that bit at her chest every time she remembered the map. Had all that time been worth it? Dauphina's betrayal had changed everything. She was supposed to storm the fortress, not linger in the confines of her childhood yard. "I've already changed so much." Averting her eyes, Animo exposed her greatest fear. "What if Albus can't defeat him this time?"

A bird cawed overhead, reminding Animo of Fawkes. Then there was the crunch of gravel as Tom stood beside her, extending his elbow with a begrudging tilt of his head.

"You're coming?" Animo's eyes were wide as she glanced over to assess his sharp features.

"Please, you're without a wand and look like you just tumbled off a hillside." Tom sent a sharp smirk that Animo hadn't seen in weeks. "I am a gentleman, you know."

Pressing her lips together, Animo resisted the urge to grin. She laced her fingers around his elbow, feeling strangely relieved to have him beside her. Tom's arrogance, while irritating, helped ease her fear.

Then there was a tightening in her stomach and a small pop following their disapparation. Instantly, Animo was nearly drowned by a large wave, a rush of seawater dousing her body while she stumbled for purchase on the rock beneath her feet.

Gasping for air, Animo reached out for Tom, who had nearly tumbled into the sea. A great storm raged above them, rivaling that of the one they had witnessed last night.

"Excellent spot!" Animo shouted sarcastically over the howling wind, holding up her arm as another wave threatened to pull them into the swirling ocean. This time, the water hit her protection charm and splatted into an array of large droplets, drenching their robes but no longer a danger.

Tom gritted his teeth, pulling his hair away from his face as he observed the sea behind her shoulder. "It's a bit difficult to apparate into the wizarding world's greatest prison."

Animo swallowed, realizing why his expression was so dark. She turned around.

A massive building rose from amongst the waves. The storm made it appear was if the rock foundation were simply floating in the sea. The prison's ominous presence hung heavily in the salty air as lightening crackled directly over its highest point. It seemed nature itself was eager to destroy the hulking mass of stone and waves beat at every edge, lapping at the rock. Most terrifying of all were the lone sentries that hovered throughout the air, their dark cloaks rippling in tatters. One reached out a hand and for a moment, Animo froze, believing they had been seen. But the dementor soared into one of the thin windows with a menacing cry, its disappearance followed by a human scream.

Animo shivered, her soul sinking into her chest. She couldn't help but look at the waves, wishing to disappear into their depths. Perhaps emptiness was all there ever was.

"Animo!" Tom pulled her from the rock's edge and Animo snapped up her head, realizing her toes were centimeters from dipping into the foaming depths. The Slytherin dragged her further towards the center of their small base, his scowl deepening. "What were you thinking?"

For some reason, Animo felt the urge to cry. She had just wanted the pain to be over. "I—" she broke off her train of thought, knowing they couldn't afford to linger. "How do we get closer to the prison?"

Clearly dissatisfied with her answer, Tom pinched his nose but turned back towards Azkaban with an analytical eye. "It would take a half decent wizard years to reach those gates without detection."