"Where people of her kind belong," Spencer-Moon snapped, flinging open the door. Animo pressed herself against the wall, feeling the ridges of the stone bite into her seared flesh. "Azkaban."

A heavy weight sank into the pit of Animo's stomach. She had never seen the infamous prison, but the name itself had once been enough to make Albus go quiet. And she was certain that her poor attempts at a Patronus would be no defense against the Dementors.

If Albus were in her position, Animo knew he would have made an escape, disappeared off the face of the wizarding world to buy time to plan and reconvene. Yet she felt certain she could not afford such a diversion. Whatever Gellert was planning, he certainly wouldn't wait. It seemed as though the climax of the war loomed on the horizon, eager for a tipping point. If she were to make any difference, now was the time to act. No matter how the terror pulsed through her bloodstream.

Pushing herself up from the wall as the minister's shadow flickered across the stones in front of her, Animo stepped from behind the suit of armor.

"I'm the one you're looking for."

She barely had time to deflect the stunning jinx that hurtled her way, ducking beneath the light before holding up her hands in surrender.

"WAIT!"

Chest heaving, she gazed at the auror in front of her, whom she gathered was the unrecognizable voice in the office. His blonde hair was pulled back tightly into a bun that emphasized his brutish features. The disjointed angle of his nose spoke of seasons of battles and she tried not to linger on the muscled tone to his shoulders. If she hadn't known Hagrid, she would have wagered the man had giant blood.

"I'm not here to fight," she tossed her wand on the ground, feeling Albus's horrified stare beating heavily into her side.

"And you expect us to believe that?" the hulking auror spat, his wand raised fiercely at her chest. "On your knees."

Biting back a retort, Animo sank to the ground, her burned arm screaming with pain. She could feel her heartbeat pulsing beneath the blistered skin. The minister noticed her injury, his dark gaze narrowing.

"I'll call for the Dementors—"

Her heart seized. Animo pinned Albus with a desperate stare, but the older wizard wouldn't meet her eyes. He stood motionless to the left of the defensive group.

"Wait," Animo repeated dumbly, desperation making her fingers tremble. "I'm here to help you."

The auror let out a sharp bark, although his tone was humorless. Spencer-Moon simply observed the exchange with an unreadable expression.

"And what? You expect the Ministry to welcome you with open arms?" He prodded at Animo's bicep, where the Deathly Hallows was displayed beneath her tattered sleeve. "You even bear his mark."

"I have a map of Nurmengard."

Silence greeted her words. Animo could read Albus well enough to see the flicker of shock across his face. But of course, any emotion was gone before the others could detect it.

"I don't—"

"Enough, Worthington." Spencer-Moon held up a dark hand, his forehead wrinkling in thought as he silenced his auror. "And what would you want in exchange?"

"I will use the map to help you launch an attack directly again Grindelwald," Animo tried to keep her voice steady, her last name feeling strange on her tongue. Yet she assumed it would not gain her any favors to refer to her brother by his birth name. Her position was already tenuous enough. "I will aid you. In the meantime, I stay out of Azkaban. If I betray you, then put me behind bars."