Grinning at her reflection, Animo tried to shake off the last of her insecurities. She fully intended on completing Tom's task to perfection, despite how juvenile her attitude seemed.

Ducking out of her room, it was easy to find the path to the ballroom due to the red carpet that unfurled itself in front of her, guiding her steps. Animo let her silver heels sink into the velvet, taking her time as she ran her hand down the banister. The sound of clanking champagne glasses and boastful murmurs rose to greet her. She shivered. Politicians and aristocrats were experts in weaving extravagant illusions.

Taking each step carefully, Animo peered over the countless heads that bobbed throughout the ballroom floor. The women and men alike were dressed in their finest and diamonds and gold glittered on nearly every wrist. A solemn orchestra prodded at a few instruments in the corner, producing just enough noise to cover the awkward pauses in conversation. Scanning the crowd, it was all too easy for Animo to pinpoint a dark head of curls.

Tom seemed surprisingly involved as he entertained a group of wealthy purebloods, his figure fittingly silhouetted in an ebony suit lined with just a hint of silver. His hair was tamed back even more than usual, although the cold ire in his eyes was ever present. Or perhaps it was only that Animo knew what to look for.

Picking her way through the masses, Animo was thankful for her height while she narrowly avoided colliding with a tray of lady sandwiches. The waiter sent her a sour look, clearly accustomed to partiers disregarding his existence. Animo returned the glance with an apologetic smile, sidling up right behind Tom.

"I find your store fascinating, Mr. Burke," Tom's tone was as oozing as Animo had ever heard it. The man he addressed was a graying aristocrat, who had his dark hair pulled back into a low ponytail. Despite his age, Mr. Burke was keeping a careful eye on every woman that passed, only slightly entertaining Tom's conversation.

Animo swallowed her disgust, which was rather easy when she realized exactly who this man was. Part owner of Borgin and Burkes, the shop that Tom would spend nearly a decade working in before his rise to power. It meant that Tom had still not halted in his pursuit of ancient artifacts, hoping to turn them into Horcruxes.

The thought pushed Animo forward, her temper flaring at the idiotic boy across from her. "I hear you are a rather inspiring man, Mr. Burke."

The small circle immediately turned their attention towards her and Animo was sure her cheeks had flushed a bright pink. She snuck a look at Tom, who quickly averted his eyes, although she could read irritation in his tight shoulders. Fine.

"Ah, Mr. Riddle," Mr. Burke's gaze was fixed on Animo. Or rather, her exposed chest. "I'm afraid you have failed to introduce me to your enchanting companion," the man sent Animo a flirtatious smirk, the stubble on his chin a dark shadow against his pale skin. It looked like Burke hadn't seen sunlight in a decade.

"Allow me to introduce myself," Animo purred, extending her bare arm for Burke to accept. There was a muffled snort to her left and Animo nearly broke her ploy as she noticed Abraxas standing beside them, observing the scene with keen amusement. "Anneliese Wallis," Burke's lips were large and fleshy against the skin of her hand. She tried to pull away slowly.

Burke settled back, making room for Animo to occupy the space beside him. His previous partner sent Animo an irritated glance before backing away, joining another group of aristocrats. Animo inwardly grimaced, wishing she too could escape the dismal scene.

"So, tell me, Miss Wallis." Burke offered her a glass of champagne, which Animo readily accepted. At least it would give her something to occupy her hands with. "How did a creature like you," his glance was once again on the skin of her back, "find themselves wrapped up with scoundrels like these?"