"My lord."

Abraxas melted from the shadows, his white hair gleaming in the winter light as he approached Tom. His cold gaze faltered when Animo stepped out from beside the Slytherin uncomfortably. Her gloved hands clasped together in fists.

"Don't mind her," Tom snapped, clearly eager to escape the blistering wind. "She'll be of use over break."

Saying nothing, Abraxas turned to lead them towards a rather expensive looking car, its black paint waxed so that it shone more brightly than the sun above. Animo could sense the Malfoy's unease, however, as she slid in onto the leather seats. The material was surprisingly warm and she suspected some sort of charm as the driverless car pulled out into the streets.

Animo attempted to lean forward, watching in fascination as the metal wheel swung of its own accord, even giving a sharp honk at the nearest pedestrian. The young boy lurched backwards, his cheeks pink with cold as he sent the car a miserable glare. Then, Tom shifted in front of her and Animo's view of the outside world was shuttered.

"I expect the house has been readied?" he addressed the question at Abraxas, pinning him down with his dark gaze.

His follower dipped his head curtly, not a strand of hair falling out of place. "Yes, my lord. The house-elves have nearly everything settled for your party outside of the food, which they will prepare the day of."

Animo withdrew her attention reluctantly from the snowy banks outside the window, bits of grass just poking above the white dusting. "A party?" Her question earned her a withering glare from Abraxas. "That's what I'm here for?" she couldn't keep the incredulity from her voice. Certainly, she was glad to not be wrapped in the darker of Tom's schemes, but Gellert was an ever-growing problem and Animo had no desire to waste her holidays playing house with Slytherin's 'finest.'

"Watch your tongue," Tom snapped in return, shifting so that she could see the warning in his expression. Evidently, he had kept her in the dark on purpose.

Going silent, Animo returned to her position with her cheek pressed to the inside of the window. A desperate wish burned in her stomach that she could be out among the snowflakes. In a world that cared not for politics and plotting, but for simple magic itself.

---

Animo's skin began to crawl as the car pulled up the gravel driveway that spiraled to a halt in front of the manor. To her relief, the gates that had loomed over every Death Eater meeting had not yet been built and instead a gentle slope of snow-spotted hills rose to greet them.

The moment the car stopped, Animo pulled open the door, eager to escape the stifling confines of the leather interior. Tom and Abraxas had not exchanged a single word the rest of the drive and Animo had nearly screamed just to relieve herself of the painful silence. It was starkly similar to the empty hallways that encompassed most of her early years.

Abraxas shooed away a peacock that had started to strut in their direction, its tail a rather hefty burden in the growing wind. The smooth gravel path ushered them towards a marble staircase, at the top of which was a massive pair of doors. Opening the entrance with a sharp knock on the wooden panel, Abraxas gestured Tom inside. Animo trailed behind awkwardly, just managing to squeeze herself through before the hinges slammed shut.

To her surprise, the manor had not changed at all from her memories of the future. Perhaps it was a bit more well-kept, as the countless vases and suits of armor where no longer coated in a faint layer of dust. But the imposing tapestries and eerie silence were the exact same. Animo couldn't shake the feeling that she was being watched.

Pulling her coat tighter, Animo observed the portrait to her right, which depicted a rather grim couple with shining white hair. Disturbingly, they looked as though they could be siblings, despite their intimate pose.