Shifting with a few grumbles, the members of the club returned to their stoic positions.

"ONE.. TWO.. THREE—"

"SLUGGY'S KNICKERS!"

Animo grinned as the flash briefly illuminated the room in a bright white light, casting their shadows on the wall behind them. She waited until the picture had printed from within the camera's slot and gave it a few firm shakes (she couldn't resist updating the camera just a smidge).

"Let me see," Lyall started forward, nearly knocking her off her feet as he snatched the picture from her fingers. "Damn, I look good."

Rolling her eyes very visibly, Animo swiped the image back before safely tucking it into the front pocket of her school robes. The others began to disperse back into the corridor, their murmurs echoing off the stones. "Ever humble, Lyall."

"There's only one problem," Lyall held out an empty palm, a more serious lilt to his tone, "you're not in it."

Sure that her cheeks were burning an unfavorable color, Animo slowly retracted her grasp on the camera. "Don't break it, please."

Lyall snorted, adjusting the lens with nimble fingers as he motioned for her to step in front of the Christmas tree that the Room had so considerately provided. "I break hearts, An, nothing else."

"Right—"

Mid-scowl, the flash went off and Animo yelped, rushing to grab the picture before Lyall could snatch it. Yet, she was a second too late and the Gryffindor held the portrait between his fingers gleefully.

"Now this is priceless—"

"Lupin, I swear if you don't—"

"C'mon, Annie," Lyall pushed his lips into a pout as he danced away, sure to keep a meter's distance between them, "you never did get me a Christmas present."

Crossing her arms over her chest, Animo gave up her attempt. "Actually, I got you all—"

"Probably something smart like the swot you are," before Animo could register what was happening, Lyall's lips were brushing the corner of her mouth. "But do me a favour and let me keep this one, sweetheart."

As he pulled away, Animo stuttered for a response, trying to process the complexity of the emotions currently swirling through her chest. Lyall seemed to take her silence as his cue to exit, sending her a last wave before he disappeared out the door.

The handle gave a firm click and Animo puffed out a sigh, finally coming back to her senses as she began to gather the last of her books. Whatever game Lyall was playing, she was rather certain she didn't want to become involved.

Casting a last glance over the room to make sure she was leaving it in a somewhat presentable fashion, Animo ducked out the doorway and into the darkened hallway. Nearly all the surrounding portraits were asleep, as it was the early hours of the morning and the sun had yet to gather the energy to peer over the horizon.

"Wallis."

Animo cringed at the familiar tone. Dismissing Lyall from her thoughts, she turned back towards where the entrance to the room stood. She had enough complicated men to handle. "Hello, Tom."

"I would ask what you're doing at this hour," the Slytherin's demeanor was smug as he strode forward, his robes billowing against the floor. Animo was uncannily reminded of Snape and she tried to keep the smile from blossoming across her face. She got the distinct feeling that Tom wanted her to be intimidated. "But seeing as I could expose your friends to the Headmaster," Tom let his words trail aimlessly, "I think you'll need no prompting."