Pulling at the hem of her dress and desperately hoping it wouldn't ride up too badly, Animo sent a final wave in Avril's direction before she took the staircase that led just slightly out of the dungeons. To no one's surprise, Slughorn had little interest in living down in the drafty passageways along with his students.

Even if Animo had not know the passages the way that she did, it would have been easy to find Slughorn's office with the level of raucous laughter and music that tinkered towards her. Checking once more to make sure the marks on her arms were properly concealed, Animo approached Slughorn's door. To her amusement, Lyall and Dominic stood guard, Lyall's hair slicked backwards in what she could only imagine was his interpretation of a butler.

"Ma'—" Lyall's eyes widened as he recognized Animo's form, looking rather comical in an overly large tuxedo. "Bloody hell, Annie. You're a knockout."

Flushing a bright red, Animo dipped into a mock curtsey, careful to not trip over her ankles. "Thank you, good sir," she paused, lingering on their stoic position by the doorway. "Is there some sort of keyword to get in?"

"No," Lyall seemed uncharacteristically awkward as he tore his eyes from her legs, jerking his head back towards the inside of the party. "This was the only way I could convince Sluggy to let us come." A flicker of dislike flashed in his hazel gaze, "think he enjoyed humiliating us, honestly."

Dominic grunted in response, although his head was tilted firmly towards the inside of the room. His suit was much better tailored than his mate's.

Lyall just shook his head. "Needless to say, Dom came to watch over Cilla. She was invited of course, brilliant bird, and Dom wants to make sure no one touches his property."

Wincing at the masculine wording, Animo shook her head with amusement. "You've got a reputation, Dominic, I doubt anyone challenges you lest they end up on the wrong side of a Beater bat."

"What about me?" Lyall was indignant as he shook his head, sending several gelled strands sliding out of place. "I'm terrifying."

"Quite," Animo laughed, sliding between them as she entered the party.

"SAVE ME A DANCE!"

Lyall's call was nearly enveloped by the loud chatter and brassy tunes echoing inside the rather small study. Animo instantly felt overwhelmed with the assault on her senses, trying not to shrink back as a second year tottered by with a silver tray of refreshments. As much as she had dreamed about seeing the world, she hadn't anticipated how anxiety-inducing it was to "mingle." Smiling awkwardly as she passed by a group of Ravenclaws, Animo grabbed a champagne flute to keep her hands occupied as she searched for Alphard and Avril. If the pair had left her here she would—

"Ah, Miss Wallis!" Slughorn's voice boomed from the left corner as he waved an arm for emphasis. His suitcoat was a deep forest green, paired with a scarlet and yellow bow tie that didn't exactly match, but somehow fit his eccentric personality. Several students surrounded him, but they were clearly eager to leave the man's boisterous presence and Animo felt a stab of anger as two slunk off in the opposite direction. Certainly, the professor was meddlesome, but he had a genuine enthusiasm that many lacked.

"Miss Wallis," Slughorn repeated, causing Animo to jerk from her thoughts. The professor glanced at her dress, raising a surprised brow, "a bit modern for these times, dear, but you know what I say!" He raised a crystal glass that was formed in the shape of a slug. Animo was sure it had been a gift from some 'remarkable' student. "Testing the limits is a sure sign of ingenuity!"

He clinked his glass against Animo's, chuckling as they both took a sip. His was more like a long swallow and Animo tried to inconspicuously check how much whiskey was left in the bottle. To her embarrassment, Slughorn caught her glance. "Ah, you worry I will lose my senses!" Slughorn waved his cup vivaciously, his eyes gleaming. "Though I do prefer a nice mead, this will do." He leaned towards her conspiratorially, "I'm afraid I rather need a little something to get through these events."