Gellert made no movement, but there was a flame of interest in his gaze while he waited. However, Pickens seemed reluctant to say anymore and the wizard grew irritated. "Yes, go on."

"Word is he's trying to win favor with the Ministry." Pickens eyed Gellert, as if gauging his reaction, "get them to see the war from hees point o' view."

At this, Gellert swung up out of his seat and towards the window at the end of the corridor, which provided a view of a twilight sky, the stars cold and frosty. "I do wonder how he managed that. I've tried bribing them for years."

"Word is," Pickens seemed determined to not pin any more accountability on himself than necessary, "that he promised them political support, sir."

An amused smile tilted one end of Gellert's mouth. "And just how does Albus think he's going to convince the minister to acquis?" The question was not directed at Pickens, who was rather flustered trying to keep up with Gellert's train of thoughts. "Those fools are more biased than the papers accuse me of being," he waved a dismissive hand. "Leave me, Pickens." His gaze darkened to a royal purple. "And if our next encounter is so fruitless with information about the stone, I will be much less," the wizard paused, enjoying watching Pickens squirm, "agreeable."

Animo pulled out of Pickens' head with a groan, leaning back against the trunk behind her and ignoring the cold that laced up her spine. There was no doubt anymore, her brother wanted to be master of the Deathly Hallows. She reached up to touch the man's clammy brow. Pickens had not seemed frightened tonight, which could only mean that he had some sort of information to provide Gellert. Yet, Animo dared not risk entering his mind again. Her time was already running out.

Straightening her cap, she tottered towards the path, attempting to replicate Pickens' gait. She dared not step on the paved dirt, but kept an eye on its meandering through the trees as she drew near to Nurmengard. It did not bode well that Pickens was due to meet with Gellert. That was an encounter Animo was determined to avoid.

The next few paces seemed to last an eternity, with Animo's heart pounding against her chest with each step. Finally, she took a last left and the iron gate of the fortress loomed into view, the mists that trialed the mountain grass lifting to reveal the wicked spikes that lined the wall.

Swallowing once more, Animo pushed confidence into her stance, although not too much. Pickens was a rather disconcerted fellow. She walked up to the gate, wrapping a torn bit of cloth around her fist before raising her hand.

Suddenly, there was a flare of pain in her bicep and Animo nearly yelped, barely remembering to keep from grabbing her arm. The brand Gellert had given her as a child had not hurt her since, but now it blazed a fire through her veins.

The gate swung open silently, opening into an empty stone courtyard. Animo shivered at the carving of a chimera that reared its jaws in front of the door as she trudged towards the main entrance. Perhaps Gellert had charmed the fortress with his blood, as her brother was rather fond of that strain of dark magic. That would explain why Animo had been able to get through.

"Pickens."

The heavy walnut door cracked open of its own accord and Animo tried to hide her recognition at the tattooed face that peered through the entryway. Dauphina Hollifist was one of Gellert's acolytes and one of his first followers. The hooded-eyed woman was one of the few who had been kind to Animo as a child, passing her the occasional bit of candy or shooing the less pleasant of Gellert's accomplices away.

Animo grunted in response, tilting her head as if against the cold. "Let me in, will ya?" Her Irish accent was poor, but as Dauphina was a Seer, Animo was more likely to be caught through one of the woman's visions.